Halibrand Wheels

marc212

I posted this on SDC as well. Comments?

I know this topic keeps coming up over the years, but I am in contact with a fellow who will make exact copies of the Halibrand wheels offered as an option on Avantis in aluminum. He would also make them out of magnesium, but the cost would be prohibitive. The question is if they were to be made, would it be better to make them 15" X 6" as opposed to the original which were (to the best of my knowledge) 5.5". The reason for the 6" size would be that the 6" rim would give us more choices of modern tires for the Avanti. What do we all think: 1. Would we prefer to buy a 6" rim over the original 5.5"? 2. Would we prefer the 5.5" as more original? 3. Lastly, if they were made 6" is the extra half inch added to the inside, the outside, or split it with a quarter inch on each side of the centerline? On this last question, I have no idea if the 1/4 inch on the inside would cause the tire to rub, or what.

The cost of the tested wheel with the spinner would be between 399 and 450 per wheel. Is there any interest?

I gave an opinion on the SDC Forum...I think 6" wheels is the way to go.

One thing I didn't mention there...Jon Myer of Myer's Studebaker had a deal with Halibrand to make a run of the rims. The sticking point was Halibrand would only do it if a minimum number of orders could be guaranteed to justify the tooling costs. The selling price of the new rims would have been something like $2250 per set of four or thereabouts. Jon was unable to get the minimum number plus the person at Halibrand who made the deal left the company, making the entire thing moot.

I wish you success if you can get this done.

I love the look of the Halibrand mag wheel as offered on the Studebaker Avantis. One issue You may want to consider, (and I might be wrong about this), is that most of the folks that would be interested in buying a set would be attempting to add an authentic option to their cars.....and that means only folks with 1964 Avantis would be mainly interested, as I don't belive the Halibrand mag wheel was an option on the '63's. If this is true, it may substantially lower the amount of Studebaker Avanti owners that would be willing to make the investment in these wheels. (Although the cost You mention sounds very fair)

Halibrands were also sold through dealers so unless someone wants their Avanti to exactly match the production order, I don't believe many will care. If changing to a dual master cylinder for safety is ok for judging, a set of Halibrands should not be an issue. If someone wants to argue with a judge about it, let them. I'm not much of a purist and if someone wants them on a '63...more power to them.

Many earlier Avantis have the stone guard covering the air scoop under the front...dealer or owner installed and no one cares, though I do admit a set of Halibrands would be are far more obvious.

Actually...a set of reproduction Halibrands in aluminum would be preferable to an original set of magnesium rims. After all these years the magnesium would be brittle and potentially quite unsafe. Using modern casting techniques and computer quality control would make for a superior wheel. I could see some with original Halibrands buying the repros for their cars to drive on and save the originals...or sell them for big $ and even pay for the new wheels.

I have a set of Halibrands on my Avanti. I have bought and sold three Avantis over the past 20 years; but kept the wheels. I think aluminum in the original size would be the way to go. Since they were dealer installed, they would be correct on any Studebaker Avanti. I have them now on my 1969 Avanti II. By the way, they only get brittle and crack if you dont take care of them. :P I have been offered more than the value of my car for these wheels. Crazy. It would be nice if they were available as a reproduction!

Edited by abasile

Marc21 -- If you decide to go ahead with this project, I would keep Lew Schucart of Avanti Magazine in the loop. You have a better chance of getting the minimum order you need if you let him reach out to every active AOAI member -- just a thought...

Someone on the Studebaker Forum says there will be repro Halibrands in aluminum planned for production and should be ready for sale by this Fall. If that's true, we'll see what kind of quality they are and if they're worth it. The planned price is about $300 each.

Personally, I wouldn't be the first to want a set...I'd want to wait it out and get feedback from others first. Besides...I like the look of the Magnum 500's on my car, even though they are steel and heavier than aluminum.

I have started this thread on the Studebaker Owners Forum as well, so I assume that I am the someone Gunslinger has mentioned. It looks as if we will be getting these wheels done, they will be made in the USA, cast using the latest state of the art casting techniques and tested to OEM standards. They will be 6" x 15". Although to appear more like the originals, they will not be polished, the quality will allow for them to be purchased polished for an additional fee.

All seems to be moving along well at this time, so I really think it will get done. The cost will be around 500 dollars a wheel, I believe. When they have more definite numbers I will post them.

• 5 weeks later...

I went to the FACTORYFIVE.COM site. WhileI found one model or replica of a Halibrand wheel the one I saw is not at all similar to the original Halibrand offered as an option from Studebaker. Can you give us a link to the wheel you are talking about? Thanks, Marc

http://www.factoryfiveparts.com/wheels/

FACTORY 5 - ROADSTER - WHEELS - 15" HALIBRAND REPLICA

THESE ARE NOT THE OPTIONED WHEELS FOR AVANTI WHICH WILL BE PRODUCED BY PS VINTAGE WHEELS IN LA HABRA CALIF SOMETIME LATER THIS YEAR AT A COST OF ABOUT $1500 + DOLLARS THE FIA WHEEL SET WHICH IS CLOSER TO THE ORIGINAL IS 1995.00

HOPE THAT ANSWERS

• 2 weeks later...

Those are good looking wheels but are not the "kidney bean" type that was offered back in 63-64.

The ones Factory Five is offering look more like the ones you'd find on a Cobra...which is what Factory Five makes.

Anyone have a lead on more correct Halibrand reproductions?

Those are good looking wheels but are not the "kidney bean" type that was offered back in 63-64.

The ones Factory Five is offering look more like the ones you'd find on a Cobra...which is what Factory Five makes.

Anyone have a lead on more correct Halibrand reproductions?

I don't know what you mean as "More Correct" The ones offered on Studebaker were the very same as offered on some Cobras and look like the FIA Pin drive, but have lug nuts.

Seems to me it might be smarter to make new wheels in 16" format, because it's become difficult to find decent tires in 15" sizes.

Here's one that is similar in style:

https://www.newstalgiawheel.com/shop/product/vn470-salt-flats-painted

Edited by WayneC