Power Windows

Galvagni

I recently purchased a 63 Avanti with what I thought was crank windows. To my surprise, the Production Order information from the Studebaker Museum indicates that the car was originally fitted with power windows! Upon a closer look I found the wire harness was cut and stuffed into the door posts and the drivers side door panel still has the original mounting hole for the original switch. I don't see the original relay and wire harness in the engine bay though.

I would like to re-establish the power window. It appears that I can buy aftermarket window lifts complete with harness but I would like to install an original switch set. Any idea where I could get a pair of new or used switches. Does anyone have a good picture of the original items? The Avanti parts manual suggests a oval-shaped switch plate with a raised ridge.

Also, the last line on the production order is "X84 AC3286 L&R. This appears to have been added in at a later time because the font is quite different. My guess is lap belts because I found them buried in the trunk!

Thanks for your help on this. I'm new to Avanti and new to the forum.

Tom

This is what they look like. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Avanti-Power-Front-Window-Regulator-/400648817549?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d4887cb8d&vxp=mtr

Be careful of the after market units. The Avanti/Studebaker doors of that era a not very tall and most of the after market stuff is to tall to work well. I know, I've tried.

This is in the library of the SDC Forum and could work on an Avanti. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?75224-hawk-power-windows

I used Mazda ones on my 54K. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?21999-K-body-CASO-Power-Windows In any case, it's not straight forward unless you find the OEM Avanti stuff.

Don't sell your manual ones, and there is a big market for them, until you are happy with the power setup.

Bob

I second that! Although the power windows in My '83 Avanti (RQB-3655) work well, power windowed Avantis from the Studebaker era seem problematic. They also add extra weight to the doors, which stresses the hinge pockets. Manual window Studebaker Avantis are sought after for this reason. I'd be a buyer for Your manual window regulators if You do decide to part with them.

Bob

I looked on the ebay link but I don't see a picture of the power switches. I hope to restore the Avanti to as close to original as possible so my first chore is to find original switches. If none are to be had I am fine with keeping the manual setup. Any thought on where to score the switches would be great.

MFG: if your setup is factory, would you send a photo of the switches?

Does anyone know what options item "X84 AC3286" on my Production Order stands for.

Tom

Tom,

Talk to Bill Oliver. He has a 63 Avanti with electric windows that he is/may part out. You could then buy the complete system.

For this information however you would have to sell me the manual windows as my car does not have anything.

Peter

Bob

I looked on the ebay link but I don't see a picture of the power switches. I hope to restore the Avanti to as close to original as possible so my first chore is to find original switches. If none are to be had I am fine with keeping the manual setup. Any thought on where to score the switches would be great.

MFG: if your setup is factory, would you send a photo of the switches?

Does anyone know what options item "X84 AC3286" on my Production Order stands for.

Tom

Tom...If You want brand new switches, I'm pretty sure that the switches for the Studebaker Avanti power windows are the same as those used on the '57 Ford Thunderbird (baby bird) with power windows....same buttons and chrome bezels...only difference is Stude used ivory buttons, while Ford used black buttons. These switches have been reproduced for the T-Birds, and are readily available from 'early bird' restoration parts suppliers.

Thanks everyone for the great information. I'll follow your suggestions.

Gunslinger: If all works out I will be interested in the registers that you have available so let me know the what you want for them.

Tom