1963 Avanti R1 engine and trans- Sold

Whlnut

Selling the 289 R1 engine complete with AC and P/S from my '63 Avanti R-2185, and PowerShift trans. with torque converter, cross member and driveshaft.

A head gasket failed while the car was garaged and water damaged one cylinder, so a standard overhaul will be needed. The car ran and drove fine until then, with no other repairs needed. Selling the complete engine, less the ignition shields, aluminum water pump pulley and air cleaner assy., which are available separately.  Includes the York compressor, power steering pump, AFB, nice valve covers, etc.  Upgrades include Honda alternator, Chrysler electronic ignition. 

The transmission will need new seals and gaskets.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
$600 for the engine and $200 for the trans. Pick up only in Brunswick, GA.  I have many other excellent parts from this car that I will list in another post.  Ed Lanier 912-223-48 eight one. Text first.

Edited by Whlnut
lowered price

Interesting the head gasket failed while the car was stored.....I've read that a similar thing happened to the R3 engine in George Krem's 'Plain Brown Wrapper' Lark.

I wonder if this problem is more common in Stude V8's than other types?.....and if there's a way of avoiding this type of head gasket failure?.....Ed:huh:

Edited by mfg

Mike Myer said the head gasket problem is not uncommon with 289 engines. Don't know why. I assumed the coolant turned acidic and ate away at the gasket.

I don't know nuthin bout boilin no pine trees.

Ed

• Whlnut changed the title to 1963 Avanti R1 engine and trans- Sold