89 Convertible Gas Sending Unit

plwindish

One thing the P.O. informed me was that the gas gauge was not working on the car when I got it. The gauge doesn't move from full. If I'm replacing the sending unit, would it be for a 89 Caprice?

Billy, is the sending unit going to be Avanti specific then if its not a 89 Caprice? I assumed the tank was used from the Caprice in them.

My '88 is Stewart Warner but it has the 'original-type' fuel tank. You probably DO have a GM sending unit (considering your tank) and GM has used 0-90 ohm sending forever (0 = empty 90 = Full). I would think (if the location of your fuel gauge is not too hard to get to) remove the gauge and take some readings and/or see if the connections are secure at the tank location.

wdaly, thanks. A 3 ring binder titled the Service Policy and Procedures Manual was included with the car. The binder does have all the wiring schematics and on the gauges page, shows the resistance for the sending unit of 90 ohms for full and 0 for empty. As I remember with my 76, is opposite of the Stude sender reading 0 at full and the higher reading at empty. When warmer weather arrives and I can get under the tank, I'll have to check it out, but it sounds like the unit is GM.

• 3 weeks later...

PLWindish,

If I understood your last posting correctly, you have a "Service Policy and Procedures Manual" for your 1989 Avanti. I would love to obtain a copy of your manual for our 89 Convertible, #540. Is there any way we might work that out?

Please email me at rudgleigh@gmail.com and/or call me at 425-941-3314