Rare parts availability

Charlie Kile

With the prices for 3D printers coming down, I wonder how practical it would be to produce some of the small plastic parts that are no longer available.

Although they are still experimental, 3D printers with metal are becoming a reality.

Charlie RQB3921

Edited by Charlie Kile

• 2 months later...

When I was having the Recaro seat adjuster knob caps reproduced, I looked into this and went so far as to have a sample made from the CAD file. I'll be the first to admit that I don't know much about the process, but the sample I received - and a previous DeLorean part I had made - left a lot to be desired in terms of cosmetic appeal. These two pieces were made from plastic, and the "resolution" seemed very coarse.

Depending on the part in question, I've had really good luck at DeLorean with some short runs of parts made with urethane molds. Some examples are shown in the attached photo. The limitation seems to be very thin parts don't cast very well, which is why I ended up having to have the aforementioned caps injection molded and a tool made.

reproparts.jpg

Was there anything specific that came to mind that you thought would be good to have reproduced with a 3D printer?

James

Edited by jvespey

I was recently at a job fair. one of the companies was a firm that does 3-D printing. They had a little unit on their table...a crank that moved cams and a wheel. Pretty intricate parts, probably a dozen in total.

The HR rep told me they made it.

"After you made the parts, then they were assembled?" I asked.

"No" she said, "It some from the printer exactly like that".

That impressed me.

Edited by J Boyle