Quadrajet options

AndyM

Hi all,

We're working on getting my grandpa's '77 running after sitting for many years in his garage.  There was nearly a full tank of gas that we siphoned out, and replaced with premium.  Threw in a new battery and a bit of gas in the carb and it cranked right over and caught a few times.  We couldn't get it to stay running, and our car restorer buddy said the lower jets (I think that's what he said) were probably clogged and the engine was running lean.  His thought was to just swap carbs, but I'm finding out that new quadrajets are nearly impossible to find.  So my options are (i) ebay for a decent used one, (ii) pay someone to rebuild, or (iii) something else??  What would you all recommend?  I see some "recently rebuilt" quadrajets on ebay fo $200 or so, is that worth the risk?  Or would it be better just to pull it and take it to someone to rebuild?  Also, if I buy one, what do I need to look for to make sure I get one that matches this vehicle?

Any other advice is welcome!  Thanks much.

Edited by AndyM

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When new, most Quadrajet carbs (non-electronic types) worked well and were quite reliable.....However, they didn't seem to age well,..... for example there are two factory plugs in the float bowl base that tend to soften and leak fuel into the engine....a problem that can't be seen externally, and can drive you crazy trying to make adjustments that wont help.

For my money, I'd shy away from buying a rebuilt Quadrajet....there's just too many variables when you purchase something like that.

I recommend you purchase the ultra-reliable new Edelbrock carb....They are based on the Carter AFB carb, which was well known for its reliability and simplicity.

You can use an adapter plate to mate it up with the stock Quadrajet 'spread -bore' manifold....or go one better and 'package'. the carb with one of Edelbrock's 'Performer' intake manifolds.

That's what i did when I replaced the Quadrajet on my '83 Avanti....a car I use for my daily transportation.

Now when I lift the hood it's to check fluids, not fool around with a troublesome carburetor!...Good luck!.....Ed:)

Agree with Ed on the Edelbrock. Buy one 600 CFM or less and put a good gas filter in the gas line before the carb to catch the crap that will be coming from the tank and lines eventhough you should blow them clean before you install the new carb.

BTW there is a Tee in the gas line under the passengers door to drain the tank but it can be hard to open sometimes. And now that you have the tank drained, replace the short gas line under the fuel tank with FI rated hose. A failure of this line will put a full tank of gas on the floor under the car because the old lines don't like new gas.

Edited by Avanti83

edlebrock #2696 appears to be exactly the same as #2697 and retails @$29.95 vs $78.95 for the #2697. the later does include a couple of fittings, a filter and some fuel line, but an uncharge of 49 bucks??? am i missing something? 

Just now, arkus said:

edlebrock #2696 appears to be exactly the same as #2697 and retails @$29.95 vs $78.95 for the #2697. the later does include a couple of fittings, a filter and some fuel line, but an uncharge of 49 bucks??? am i missing something? 

I think that you probably missed a zero!!:o :D

3 minutes ago, AndyM said:

Thanks, both of you.  Is the 1904 the right model, if I were to go that route?  Or maybe the 1901?

Also, quadrajet power seems like they would know what they're doing... does anyone have any experience with them specifically?  https://quadrajetpower.com/

If your engine is a 305, I'd probably go with a 500cfm Edelbrock....If it's a 350, I believe I'd buy a 600cfm.   (Not sure of the Edelbrock specific part numbers, but all that info is available on their website.:)

7 minutes ago, arkus said:

The 2697 includes a fuel line kit. 

2 minutes ago, mfg said:

If your engine is a 305, I'd probably go with a 500cfm Edelbrock....If it's a 350, I believe I'd buy a 600cfm.   (Not sure of the Edelbrock specific part numbers, but all that info is available on their website.:)

And yes it's the 350.  Ok, thanks for the info, mfg.

ed, i believe you missed the actual part i was talking about! 🙁 going ahead i'm probably going to go with one of the new avs2 500 cfm units for my '80 original 350 engine. would welcome any thoughts on that combo. may also go with a new manifold. have no idea if modern intake design is any better than 40 year old design. looking for good drivability and fuel economy.

10 minutes ago, arkus said:

ed, i believe you missed the actual part i was talking about! 🙁 going ahead i'm probably going to go with one of the new avs2 500 cfm units for my '80 original 350 engine. would welcome any thoughts on that combo. may also go with a new manifold. have no idea if modern intake design is any better than 40 year old design. looking for good drivability and fuel economy.

Whoops sorry!....i thought they were carburetor numbers!:rolleyes:............Anyway, a 500cfm Edelbrock air valve secondary would most likely work great on your 350....esp if your mainly concerned with drivability and fuel economy.

I using a 600cfm Edelbrock on my 305, and although it runs good, if I did it again I'd go with a 500cfm model.

just took a close look at my '80 with the 350. air cleaner has made a quite serious indentation in the hood insulation. this is a bone stock 50k car. my fear is that an edlebrock carb together with the required adapter, (about .80 inch) might be too tall. this assumes the stock carb and the edlebrock are of very similar heights. might gain something with a different air cleaner, but would like to maintain stock appearance. can anyone out there with real life experience comment? thanks

Jegs has re-manufactured Q-Jets. I have one of these on my Avanti and it works quite well. 

https://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/JEGS-4-bbl-Remanufactured-Quadrajet-Carburetors/752437/10002/-1

Or, you could order a rebuild kit for the one you have. Q-Jets have a few tricks to taking them apart and putting them back together though so be sure to study up if you have not done this before. 

Find a carburetor rebuilder that knows what he's doing.  The Q-jet is an excellent carburetor but not many today understand it.  Having your own rebuilt is preferable to buying an assembly line rebuilt one.  

If you decide to go with an Edelbrock...also an excellent carb...you'll need a new intake manifold since the Q-jet is a spread-bore and the Edelbrock is a square-bore.  The Edelbrock Performer is a very good intake and will take with spread- or square-bore carbs.  The better option is th Edelbrock Performer EPS which is optimized for the Edelbrock square-bore care...better hp and torque numbers...not by a lot but better.

If you're looking for even better performance...you'll need to open your wallet wide.  That will take a new camshaft, cylinder head rework or new heads altogether.  Tread carefully if that's your goal...things can snowball quickly if you don't have a plan worked out on what you want out of your engine.

1 hour ago, Gunslinger said:

If you decide to go with an Edelbrock...also an excellent carb...you'll need a new intake manifold since the Q-jet is a spread-bore and the Edelbrock is a square-bore.  .

Not necessarily!:o.....I've installed Edelbrock carbs on a 1982 Avanti while retaining the factory 'spread bore' intake manifold, and also on a 1977 Chrysler '360' engine, also having a 'spread bore' intake manifold.

It's done this way.....1) factory 'spread bore' manifold....2) .'spread bore' carb mounting gasket.....3) 1/16" aluminum adapter ('spread bore' to' square bore')...4) 'square bore' carb mounting gasket........5)  finally, the  Edelbrock carburetor.

You're adding very little height to the engine by doing this, so an Avanti's hood will indeed still close!:)

11 hours ago, arkus said:

just took a close look at my '80 with the 350. air cleaner has made a quite serious indentation in the hood insulation. this is a bone stock 50k car. my fear is that an edlebrock carb together with the required adapter, (about .80 inch) might be too tall. this assumes the stock carb and the edlebrock are of very similar heights. might gain something with a different air cleaner, but would like to maintain stock appearance. can anyone out there with real life experience comment? thanks

I run a factory Avanti dual snorkel air cleaner assembly  (with coldl weather heated air system) on my '83 Avanti 'everyday driver' with no issues. (Edelbrock carb & performer manifold)

This setup indeed does indent the hood insulation.....however, this is a 'driver' not a show car!;)

6 hours ago, mfg said:

Not necessarily!:o.....I've installed Edelbrock carbs on a 1982 Avanti while retaining the factory 'spread bore' intake manifold, and also on a 1977 Chrysler '360' engine, also having a 'spread bore' intake manifold.

It's done this way.....1) factory 'spread bore' manifold....2) .'spread bore' carb mounting gasket.....3) 1/16" aluminum adapter ('spread bore' to' square bore')...4) 'square bore' carb mounting gasket........5)  finally, the  Edelbrock carburetor.

You're adding very little height to the engine by doing this, so an Avanti's hood will indeed still close!:)

I'm quite aware of the use of adapters...it's that its not the optimum solution for an Avanti with the low hood line.  I was thinking of the best way to accomplish the job in the best fashion for performance...not cheaping out for its own sake.

7 minutes ago, Gunslinger said:

I'm quite aware of the use of adapters...it's that its not the optimum solution for an Avanti with the low hood line.  I was thinking of the best way to accomplish the job in the best fashion for performance...not cheaping out for its own sake.

Sorry that you seem to take offense at my suggesting workable alternatives.....but I think you need to realize that everyone may not be as affluent as yourself!;)

I went to the local Pull and Save and bought a quadrajet and Intake manifold off a 1976 Chev 4x4. $20. A local retired Napa guy rebuilt the carb for $100.  The electric thing on my 83 hasn’t given me much trouble other than it seems to run rich.  We’ll see how it turns out. Mike

8 hours ago, Footer said:

I went to the local Pull and Save and bought a quadrajet and Intake manifold off a 1976 Chev 4x4. $20. A local retired Napa guy rebuilt the carb for $100.  The electric thing on my 83 hasn’t given me much trouble other than it seems to run rich.  We’ll see how it turns out. Mike

Best of luck with it!:)

First chance I get I'll measure the height of an Edelbrock versus a Rochester Quadrajet carburetor......Offhand, I believe the Edelbrock is 'shorter', which also would help with any hood clearance issues!:)

Thanks, all.  We decided to go with a rebuilt one from National Carb for the time being, but if that gives us any trouble, Quadrajet Power really seems like they know what they are doing.  I just couldn't wait 12 weeks for them to rebuild it right now. 

23 hours ago, AndyM said:

Thanks, all.  We decided to go with a rebuilt one from National Carb for the time being, but if that gives us any trouble, Quadrajet Power really seems like they know what they are doing.  I just couldn't wait 12 weeks for them to rebuild it right now. 

That's a good choice, a Rochester Quadrajet carb, in good condition and adjusted correctly, is dependable and gives good performance.....Good luck!.....Ed:)

ed, exactly where did you get the 1/16th inch square to spread bore aluminum adapter mentioned in your 10:11 am tuesday post and/or what brand? thanks

after more research i found what i think you were using; edlebrock #2732 adapter. my only concern is that edlebrock expressly says it is used for edlebrock intakes. not ANY spread bore intake, but edlebrock. wonder why they were specific?