A 2002 Studebaker Avanti

Guest dapy

Did Mike Kelly buy the rights to the Studebaker name? It is on the door jam ID tag of a 2002 convertible just listed for sale. It is one of Kelly's GA produced cars built on a Pontiac frame and drive train. The VIN is Pontiac.

As of right now the trademark for Studebaker automobiles has been abandoned and is open for ownership according to a trademark search. The last registered owner was not Mike Kelly or Avanti Motor Corporation but either may have had the rights to it prior. According to the trademark search the "Studebaker" name (for autos) was abandoned earlier this year as the owner didn't renew and has not responded to renewal requests.

I would think Avanti Motors must have owned the rights to the name "Studebaker" for automotive use or licensed the rights. The XUV prototype was referred to at different times as the "Studebaker XUV" and the "Avanti XUV".

The name "Studebaker" is open to being owned by anyone who files the appropriate paperwork and pays the fees. The name "Avanti" for automotive use has had paperwork for ownership filed several months ago by someone in Florida not listed in the current AOAI roster. What the intentions are by the person filing are unknown, but he doesn't need intentions beyond simply wanting to own the rights to the name.

Gunnny,

As usual you have the latest word. We must assume that Mike owned/registered the mark for it to be used on cars he produced. Interesting that it did not get passed to the interim Avanti manufacturers. Why wouldn't AOAI have wanted to protect the mark for cars if/when it was available.

One would think so, but maybe it expired and no one paid attention. The name of the person who has applied for the rights to the name is public record, but I see no point in naming him. As I said before he's not listed in the new AOAI roster so I have no idea of his motivations. Maybe he's an Avanti aficionado but not an AOAI member.

If I had known previously the rights to the Avanti trademark was up for grabs I would have considered applying for ownership myself...just because! I don't know what costs would have been incurred...maybe more than the fun of owning the name would have been worth.

Edited by Gunslinger

Yes, I believe that Kelly did have the rights to the Studebaker name after about 2002, as he was also using it on his prototype XUV truck and it was also on the VIN door plates on all the Avantis. But after cars stopped being built, the rights expired.

Alice Cooper has owned several Avantis including one on the Firebird chassis...but I believe the car he owned is now in California and belongs to a pastor who is an AOAI member. I haven't heard of any "celebrity" owned Avantis from the latest generation other that that.