BUMPERS! Mystery access to nuts?

Palantirion

After a great deal of stuggle I just can't figure out how to get a wrench on the 4 (3/4" if I remember correctly) outboard bumper nuts (2 front, 2 rear). The ones that attach the ends of the bumpers through the rubber shims to the bracket. Is there a special tool for this, like an offset wrench?

Edited by Palantirion

No special tools required just lay on your back ( or if you're fortunate enough to have a lift handy) with a socket & a short extension and ...go for it. I just did it myself when I had all the bumpers re-plated !!

No special tools required just lay on your back ( or if you're fortunate enough to have a lift handy) with a socket & a short extension and ...go for it. I just did it myself when I had all the bumpers re-plated !!

-We must be talking about different nuts. The ones I'm looking at have barely enough space between them and the bumper to get an open wrench on them. But the angle needed is blocked by the car's body. I don't suppose you took pics when you removed your bumpers? Been trying to find a DIY online with no success.

I just got out from under the car ....so here goes! the Avanti bumpers have all the "nuts" which aren't nuts at all but threaded (tapped) holes on plates welded onto the inside of the bumpers themselves. While laying under the car inside the fenders find the bolt head that aligns with the welded plate inside the bumper. This bolt will be thru a bumper support bracket. Under the bolts head will be a flat washer. The bolt will protrude thru the bumper support bracket then thru the plastic body & then thru the rubber block on the outside of the car which will be resting up against the welded plate inside the bumper. Do not look at the outside contour of the body of the car BUT crawl under the fender & look. It's a tough crawl on your back but you'll find those 4 illusive bolts !!

The bolt heads are 11/16" Sometimes they are not going to turn because of rust. In that case a sawsall comes in handy, and with skill (and some luck) cut the bolts off between the bumper and the body. You will most likely destroy the rubber shims, but so what. After the bumper is off you can drill out the bolt and retap the threads.