Window stickers

boogieman

I've never heard of anyone reproducing window sticker for Avanti II's. I can't think of ever seeing an actual Altman-era Avanti window sticker. You can get a blank Studebaker window sticker and photoshop it to match your car...digitally replace the Studebaker logo with Avanti. Studebaker International sells repop 1963 and 1964 Studebaker Avanti and 1988 Avanti window stickers. Outside of those, it looks like we're out of luck.

There are price sheets out there for most years of Avanti Motors production throughout at least the early 1980s...get one for your year car and, with your build sheet, you can list the base price plus all the options and their cost. I did that with my '70, and it worked out to an MSRP of $8950.00.

Richard Quinn a.k.a. Studebaker Wheel on the Studebaker Forum can do the 63-64's, but he said he has nothing on the II's and later Avanti continuations. I have been able to get copies of the pricing and option pricing for the 76 model year (the year of my car), but I don't know of anyone reproducing the manufacture's window sticker, if Neuman and Altman even put window stickers out on their new cars as they mainly were built to order.

post-10361-0-12865100-1383356362_thumb.jpgWell OK then. I have a copy of the '79 order sheet with pricing. Mine lists out at $21,540.00. I think I'll make my own using a copy of the order form I have. Thanks.

post-10361-0-79353900-1383356420_thumb.jpg

Edited by boogieman

post-10361-0-12865100-1383356362_thumb.jpgI have a copy of the '79 order sheet with pricing. Mine lists out at $21,540.00.

For you out there too young to remember 1979...

I bought a new Mustang with the optional 2.8 V-8. It was a Ghia hatchback with every option expect for sunroof...so it had the Ghia interior, leather seats, AM-FM, tilt wheel, cruise, PS,PB, AT, etc.

I paid $7500 for it.

Avanti Motor Corporation had some healthy price increases through the later 70's and 80's. The base on my 76 was $12195.00, totaling $14185.00 when adding power steering, electric windows, air, electric door locks, tilt wheel, tinted windows, custom vinyl interior, Blaupunkt AM-FM stereo, outside rear view mirrors, electric trunk opener, twin traction, "fog" driving lights, rear de-icer, sound deadener. In seven years, the base price more than doubled, as well as the total optioned price. Items like power steering, air, rear de-icer, tilt wheel, custom interiors and tinted windows became standard by 1983 where they were options in 76.

A lot of those increases came about due to meeting new federal safety and emissions standards...the same can be said for most car makers. For Avanti Motors, beyond the increases due to meeting standards, they were, in many cases, running out of original, leftover Studebaker parts and had to source many from scratch, thus having to spend funds they hadn't needed to before. Cars in general became more luxurious and buyers expected more. The Avanti was not a stripped down car and was aimed at a more affluent market.

Still...any car maker is reluctant to increase prices unless forced to. A small maker like Avanti Motors didn't have the power to negotiate prices with vendors like GM or Ford could...they had the power to almost dictate what they would pay or simply made the parts in-house within one of their own divisions. Avanti brought a lot of manufacturing in-house when they could since many vendors thought small runs of many items was unprofitable unless they charged high prices. Avanti Motors made their own wiring harnesses (which often changed year-to-year and even car-by-car), dash pads, did their own upholstering, and many small but necessary parts. Much of these were farmed out to outside vendors by large companies.

Avanti Motors even changed their pricing strategy several times as conditions warranted. When they first started making cars, they priced their cars fully optioned with deletions being necessary to cut selling prices...the opposite of base price plus options of other car makers. They found out that it turned potential buyers off, so they went to the traditional base price plus options strategy. In the end it meant the car's selling price was the same but a lower base price didn't scare buyers. As time went on buyers expected more as standard...especially in a premium car such as the Avanti.

• 2 years later...

I just found a window sticker for a 1985 Avanti, and am working on a PDF reproduction of it now. Looks a lot different than the 1983 one someone posted above, but may be similar to a 1984.

I believe that window price stickers were a federal requirement for new cars starting with the 1959 model year.

I only bought one Avanti new. It was my 1987 and IIRC, the MSRP was $33K.

For you out there too young to remember 1979...

I bought a new Mustang with the optional 2.8 V-8. It was a Ghia hatchback with every option expect for sunroof...so it had the Ghia interior, leather seats, AM-FM, tilt wheel, cruise, PS,PB, AT, etc.

I paid $7500 for it.

So you bought one of those too? I bought a used 77 fastback with the 2.8 V6 and a 4 speed for about $4000 in 78. Biggest POS I ever bought. It was burning oil at 38000 miles. It was just a poor excuse for a Mustang.

A guy I worked with also bought a Mustang about that same time period. It was delivered with Mercury Capri buttons on the interior door panels. It's a real commentary on American auto quality control of the time.

A guy I worked with also bought a Mustang about that same time period. It was delivered with Mercury Capri buttons on the interior door panels. It's a real commentary on American auto quality control of the time.

I worked for a large Chevy dealer in San Jose, Ca in 75. We got in Chevy's with Pontiac interiors with some regularity, and then there was the very rare Chevy with Pontiac front sheet metal?

No idea how those got past the factory!