Help need info on Red Led on 1984 Dash

Jeff Gerlitz

If it's like the 83 it is the Electronic choke engine light and should come on when started and go off shortly after. If it stays on, it indicates a problem with the choke circuit, if it doesn't come on, bad bulb or contact. That's from the 83 owner manual.

If that light stays on after the engine has been started, more than likely the electronic choke relay, located towards the center of the right side inner fender apron, has gone bad. (a very common problem):(

These relays can still be purchased through GM dealers or found on e-bay.

I've gone through three of these relays during ownership of my 'everyday driver' 1983 Avanti......(now passing 400,000 miles!)

THANKS ALL!!!        Pulled relay and light went out.  Checked relay 3 legs and all showed continuity To my knowledge that is not correct.  Bought new relay from Advance $22.00 on 6/29.  Checked new relay legs continuity between 2 but not 3rd .  Installed relay NO JOY.  Light still came on.  Checked relay plug with engine running and relay in.  Brown wire from Alternator had 12V,  Red and Green on same terminal (Green goes to Carb choke) had 12V and Blue also had 12 volts.  Now to trace where the Red and Blue wire go to.  Some discussion refers to wire from oil pressure switch, looked but did not find a 2 prong oil pressure sensor. 

Any other thoughts, Jeff G

47 minutes ago, Jeff Gerlitz said:

THANKS ALL!!!        Pulled relay and light went out.  Checked relay 3 legs and all showed continuity To my knowledge that is not correct.  Bought new relay from Advance $22.00 on 6/29.  Checked new relay legs continuity between 2 but not 3rd .  Installed relay NO JOY.  Light still came on.  Checked relay plug with engine running and relay in.  Brown wire from Alternator had 12V,  Red and Green on same terminal (Green goes to Carb choke) had 12V and Blue also had 12 volts.  Now to trace where the Red and Blue wire go to.  Some discussion refers to wire from oil pressure switch, looked but did not find a 2 prong oil pressure sensor. 

Any other thoughts, Jeff G

That 'red light' situation will also rear its ugly head when the engine alternator isn't up to snuff.....Is the alternator on your Avanti original or very old looking?

When your Avanti's headlights and heater blower are turned on does the ammeter stay near zero or slightly negative even when you rev up the engine?

Also....make sure the brass connectors into which you're pushing the choke relay prongs are free of corrosion......Ed

PS....... (an afterthought).....A person I knew with an '82 Corvette  (same GM electric choke system as your Avanti) had a similar problem, and ended up feeding the electric choke with 'switched' 12 volts going through a fused (10Amp) wire.....the choke worked fine, however the 'red light' was permanently off.

Edited by mfg