RQB 2897

boogieman

Welcome to our community. My 78 Avanti RQB2772.

The steering is a common issue. If it's way loose you

Will have over a qtr play of no response. I pulled mine

And had Nostalgic rebuild the entire column. Lot better

Now. My engine is the GM 305 with auto. Changed

In the early 90s from the 350. Good Luck with your II.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

geojerry,

That's an interesting swap. I have not heard of other owners going to a 305 from a 350, usually, its the other way around. Was or is the power comparable to the 350? The 78 versions of the 350 would have be "smogged up" and not putting much power out. What was the 305 from? My 76 came with a 400 rated at 175 hp. I did keep the motor original, but had it rebuilt and de-smogged. The hp was doubled with the rebuild and its a lot more responsive now.

Boogieman fits Halloween which is today. 300 cars would only be a sometime dealer. Any Studebakers?

Please share with the forum details about your purchase and the Avanti. I've owned a 1964 R2, RQB 3716 ('83) and a 1989 convertible. Send pictures of your 1979, if available. Did you buy it on eBay? I'm a fellow Texan, but not a Cowboy. How about those Redskins?

Dave Pyle • dap8@comcast,net

You can certainly take our suggestions with a grain of salt...it's your car. When it come to suggestion of converting to the Turner brake system...the original system is an excellent design. There are a couple of potential issues...first it was originally designed for cars about 1000 pounds lighter so it's more or less at the edge of it capabilities with a car the size of an Avanti. It's worked since day 1 and can continue to do so. Now...if it needs serious maintenance such as calipers and rotors...while available, they're quite expensive. To replace these parts if necessary runs as much as the entire Turner kit, so it's pretty much a no-brainer doing the conversion.

That's all I was getting at...you can decide as you go through the car.

Just my 2 cents worth... My Avanti has 36,000 miles, and the original brakes work as well as they ever did. They were great brakes when first used in '63. I was recently driving on the PA Turnpike, which was a 70 mph, bumper to bumper trip. I realized that most of the vehicles in front of me could "out-brake" me. Dropping back was of little use, as someone else would pull into the gap. It was a very uncomfortable feeling. My Turner brakes arrived this week.

Jim78, I'm sure you will be happy with the Turner's. I had them put on my 76 2 yrs ago and 12,000 miles ago, having had no issues with them. Yesterday, we did a 400 mile drive from Northern IL into Southern WI. The brakes worked great on the back roads and also on I-94/294 in bumper to bumper 70-75 mph. Don't you just love it when you are holding an interval with the car in front of you that you are comfortable with and then two cars decide to "shoehorn" themselves into that space? The Turner brakes will modernize your stopping power.

Another question. I see that my car still has the tool pouch mounted on the back seat bulkhead, but no tools. Would be nice to replace these with the semi-correct missing tools. Anybody know what was originally there? And in what order? Anything Avanti specific? If so, what? Once again, not a restoration, but preservation project.

About the only tools that were provided were for cars with knock-off wire wheels, and they were stored in that pouch. All other cars received the tool pouch but was left to the buyer to put anything it it. All I keep in mine is a flashlight for use if needed.

Roll a bill (20, 50 or 100) around each wrench you put in the pouch and you'll be well prepared for any road repairs!

A couple of years ago I spotted a tool set on Ebay called "Avanti". I asked the seller about them...he said the "Avanti" name was on the pouch they were in and that the tools themselves were unmarked outside of whatever Asian country they were imported from. If the tools themselves were marked "Avanti" I would have bought them for the tool pouch in the trunk.

post-10361-0-91211200-1384110042_thumb.jpgHere's the story on RQB2897. Built in March-May '79. Sold to first owner in the Detroit area through Grove Pontiac in Downers Grove Ill. After owning for less than 6 months he sold it to the 2nd owner in the spring of '80. Seems the first owner preferred a Delorean instead. Spoke with Dan at Nostalgic and he remembers doing warranty/service work on the car in '79. The car and 2nd owner wound up in the Tampa, Fla. area where I found it. Doing a national Craigslist search in early October, I saw and bookmarked the car for follow-up later. Didn't want the Moon-roof at that time. Checking back a week or so later the ad had been pulled. Several days later a friend called and asked me if I saw the brown '79 in Tampa. The ad was relisted just the day before. Called the guy on the 16th and got further info, more pics, and 3 videos of the car being started, running, driving, and all systems functioning. Made the deal on Oct. 19th. The car exceeded my expectations and was all I was told it was. No rust, no wrecks, barely 50,000 miles, well maintained and serviced, everything working properly, and basically a one-owner very original example. And in the exact color combination I preferred. Poignant because the 16th was the 6 month date of my wife's passing from colon cancer. And the 19th was the 6 month date of her service. So I believe she had a hand in finding and closing the deal for me. She always supported my car hobby and this one is no different. Special for lots of reasons. A true keeper. As to the Cowboys, they let me down every year. So I randomly pick a team to follow. This year I chose the KC Chiefs. Good call on my part! Here is a pic of the car at purchase time. As you can see this post is all run-together as the start new paragraph function won't work. Edited by boogieman

Been busy on the car. Found and secured a set of 1979 Texas plates for the car so I can register it as a YOM antique. Good for 5 years, no inspections, no annual registration.

Yesterday our oldest son and grandson were over helping do some mechanical stuff on the car. Grandson, (8yo) being inquisitive, opened the ash tray cover, pulled the ashtray, and saw, down on the floor on a piece of paper, the number 2897. I had him carefully remove this to find it is a strip of wood veneer app. 3" long x 3/8" wide, clearly marked 2897 in ink, used on the console trim and dash panel. Clearly the same wood as on the console, and my guess is the indicator for the constructor as to exactly what was to be used on #2897, my car.

I'm thinking this might be rare or at least unusual. Anyone else ever run across this before? I am being constantly amazed at how original and un-molested this car is after over 34 years.

I have removed the roll pins on the quarter window mechanisms and replaced. Amazing how much this improved the operation and function of the window. They even stay open with just the right amount of tension, and draw down snugly against the weather strip when closed. #2897 getting better every day.

Cleaning and treating the dash, I removed what appears to be a speaker grill. Not. There is some sort of what appears to be a vacuum canister with 3 small diameter hoses running to/from the canister. The canister is attached to the grill by a spring steel 1/4" wide x 3/4 diameter of the canister clamp/holding device. Any clues as to this parts function? A/C? heater?

Discovered the windshield washer fluid container cracked on the outside corner. Removed for replacement or repair?

Mercifully the "Cowboys" aren't embarrassing themselves this week, so I get to spent an 85* day out in the shop with #2897. Much easier to deal with.

More later as I discover new things regularly.

And I got the "paragraph start function" reset too.

Boogieman

As you get deeper into disassembly, if you chose to do so, you will find the car number on any number of pieces. They only way to keep them straight on a limited production vehicle.

I'll bet if you pull the drivers door panel you'll find the same number on the back side of the panel and the key number (different than body #) written on the door body, just under the window opening.

Bob

• 3 weeks later...

Discovered another curious if not puzzling aspect on my '79. Noticed the rear tires didn't look right

in the wheel-wells. Careful measuring of the wheels, tires, and axle show the rear end to be offset to

the right 1-1/4". The right tire barely clears the body but the left is inset that 1-1/4 ".

Preliminary inspection looks like everything is as built in '79. Nothing looks out of place.

I will figure it out but wondered if anyone else has run across this. First time I have seen this in

the 300+ cars I have owned.

Boogieman

I checked the centering on my RQB2758. It is within 1/4", wheels vs. body. When you measured, was the axle off center with respect to the frame, or just the body? I would expect that the axle would be centered on the frame. The body may have been assembled and/or mounted to the frame off-center. Is it possible that the back-spacing on the two wheels is different?

Haven't been able to get it up in the air and pull the wheels yet to check the

axle. The wheels measure the same from mounting flange out to tire. So any

difference in wheel width or offset will be to the inside and not affect

location and clearance side to side, unless I'm not looking at this correctly.

If the body was the issue I wonder if the mounting points to the frame have thatmuch leeway in alignment. Would have to be at least 9/16" to 5/8th" on each sidefor the offset I measured. I just don't think there is that much allowance from the factory.

By the way Jim, love your car. Especially the stance and "rake". It sits like anAvanti should. How did you accomplish this? Suspension, tire sizes, body mount

shims? #2897 is ever so slightly nose down but I would like more. Thanks for

measuring your car for me.

We had an ice storm here yesterday with about 1" of ice on everything. Cold in

the shop even with a heater running. Keeping me from getting deeper into the

issue right now. And it's Christmas time too which cuts into my shop time.

Boogieman

Edited by boogieman

Actually, the apparent stance is due to the camera angle. The car is basically stock with a few cosmetic changes. I attempted to attach a profile shot, but haven't quite figured out how to make it work on this forum.

Same exactly here. Usually don't care for RWL tires but they look great on our cars.

Yours looks lower in front than mine.

Beautiful car. Love the color. Your spread in the background?

If I could I would post a comparison pic. System won't let me.

There is one posted elsewhere in the thread.

I checked the centering on my RQB2758. It is within 1/4", wheels vs. body. When you measured, was the axle off center with respect to the frame, or just the body? I would expect that the axle would be centered on the frame. The body may have been assembled and/or mounted to the frame off-center. Is it possible that the back-spacing on the two wheels is different?

I owned RQB 2757 one before yours back in the ninties. Now I own RQB 3252

Same exactly here. Usually don't care for RWL tires but they look great on our cars.

Yours looks lower in front than mine.

Beautiful car. Love the color. Your spread in the background?

If I could I would post a comparison pic. System won't let me.

There is one posted elsewhere in the thread.

The paint is BC/CC 1978 Buick "Firemist Red" which is the original color of the car. The pictures were taken at a meet at Penn's Cave, here in central PA. I was able to include the picture by using a link to Photobucket.

• 3 weeks later...

Happy new year.

Yesterday I finally had the chance to get the rear of my car up on jack stands to check the rear. Lots of interesting situations here.

Measuring from axle flange to the body at wheel opening I find the rear-end to be offset 1/2" to the

drivers side. Any one else run into this?

Looking closely at the front of the rear spring location I see two mounting holes for the front bolt

through the spring eye and hanger. On the drivers side the spring is located in the lower hole. On the passenger side the bolt is in the upper hole. All indications point to this being the way it was built.

I find this odd. This by itself can't account for the left rear of the car being about 3/4" lower than the right at ride height.

Relocating the left side bolt to the upper hole will lower that side even more.

Relocating the right side to the lower hole will raise that side.

Just the opposite of what I need to address the rear ride-height differential.

Measured the total spring arch side to side shows almost exactly the same dimension on both sides.

Pulling the wheels I found a 3/16" steel wheel spacer of both sides of the car. Any idea the purpose?

The Mag 500 wheels are not original to the car. Required for clearance?

Are the spacers originally required for the steel wheels originally on the car? I do have those wheels.

Checked the rear brakes carefully.

Shoes in great condition. Appear to be the originals.

Brake drums in great condition. Very little wear, no scoring or glazing.

No axle seal or wheel cylinder leakage at all.

Definitely a Dana 44/ Mopar 8-1/4" rear-end. I'm very familiar with the 8-1/4" rear.

Going to be cold here until next week so I have time to decide what's up with the rear and plan a

course of action to rectify.

Possibly a set of over-load shocks to correct the LR sag. Maybe rebuild the spring pack with an

additional leaf or two per side.

Is it possible to swap the springs side-to-side? If so, and the LR spring is weaker, this might

address the lower ride height on the left.

Otherwise the frame shows absolutely no signs of rust in the usual places. The undercoating applied

when built obviously did it's job well.

While on the jack stands I plan on a complete stripping of the hog troughs down to metal, resealing,

and painting. Going to add a front drain hole to match the rear ones also.

Any other specific issues I need to address while up in the air?