RQB 2897

boogieman

Greetings. New to the world of Avanti. Just another old retired guy finally able to capture a dream. Have been aware of Avantis since they were announced in late '62. Finally found the one I want in Florida. It is, as stated, RQB 2897. Would have preffered an earlier model but this one will do just fine. I wanted and found the best car available for a very reasonable price. Even is the color combo I wanted, too. It is Root Beer Brown Metallic, tan leather and loaded with most options. Hog Troughs in great condition. All power equipment working properly. 50,600 miles on a 2 owner garaged car. One repaint in '08 in correct color. Needs some interior work due to Fla sun. Hardly different from Texas sun but thats the deal. A good friend has an upholstery shop so having that done is no problem.

Spoke with Dan Booth and have the build sheet for the car. He even remembers working on the car from a factory service perspective from new. I am sure there will be questions. Let the fun begin.

Would have attached picture but file is too big. No idea how to shrink it to fit. I'll figure it out and post pics later.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Congratulations on your purchase! You're the proud owner of one the most unique and visually arresting automobiles ever designed. It looks like you knew what to look for in buying one and knew where to go for the build sheet. Dan Booth is one of the most informed and valuable resources we have on the Avanti.

Having a friend with an upholstery shop is a big plus!

Again...welcome.

Thanks. It was info from this forum that gave me the heads-up on what to look for and issues to avoid. My '79 has power windows, locks and moon roof. All are in great working order. Hog troughs very solid with only minor surface rust. The build sheet indicates the car was undercoated when built.

My friend in the upholstery business has won several national, regional, and local awards for his work including ISCA, NSRA, and Goodguy awards. In fact, his very first complete interior, carpet to headliner and all in-between was on my '35 Plymouth 2 door touring sedan street rod that I built in 1990. I still have that car and the interior has held up beautifully.

My new toy is in very good condition. Rather than restore it I intend to get it back to top condition mechanically, have the seats recovered, and then preserve it to the best of my abilities. At less than 51,000 miles it's just getting broken-in. And it will see many road miles. I am retired and my dear wife passed away this past April from cancer. I have nothing to stay home for. Talked to Steve James the other day. He personally invited me to Fla. for a regional meet in April I think it was. Already making plans to drive there.And going to see my brother in Fayetteville Ark. soon. Some great mountain roads between her and there. Not to mention the myriad of local car shows and cruises. Going to be busy indeed.Boogieman

Edited by boogieman

Good news. I heard from the previous owner's son that my new toy is on the transporter and headed to Texas. Last one loaded on the rig usually means first off. Should be here sometime saturday.

I like your plan, post some pictures and enjoy.

As an aside, be sure you find the seats comfortable for long trips. I say that because you are planning to re-upholster, so covering a better seat would not be out of the question.

Bob

I agree...if your car has the standard "Command Center" seats...they suck, to put it bluntly. Since you plan on recovering them, I say pitch them and either find a pair a Recaro seats from a later Avanti or buy a pair of aftermarket seats that you can have covered in matching upholstery.

I found a pair of Recaro seats from a later Avanti being parted out and had them upholstered to match...they are light years ahead of the standard seats. They give better support and are more comfortable than any other car seats even in new cars. They may not be power operated or be heated but that's little issue...they're an excellent design.

Will have to formulate a game plan when I actually get my hands on the car. My upholstery friend can at least re-do the seat foam if needed. Like I said earlier, the interior in my '35 has held up great. And comfortable to drive, too.I've tried posting pics but this system tells me they are too large to post. No clue as how to reduce the size.I did get a few old pics of the car, maybe 25 years ago. Then it had WSW tires and Avanti center-cap logo wire hubcaps. I get them too. And the original steel wheels. Same owner then and now. So the Mag 500's aren't original to the car. In fact, they look to me to be 15 x 7's.I do like the WSW and wire hubcap look. Nice to have options.Original owners manual and leather-bound original key set with "Return To Avanti if found" info intact included. Even the original paint code sticker on top of the vanity unit. Du Pont "Post Road Brown Metallic". Pics on Bob's Studebaker site. I would link to it if I had a clue how.This is a very original car. Proud to be the latest care-taker. My DIL has already claimed it for hers. When the time comes Dear, when the time comes.

Edited by boogieman

You can resize a photo with nearly any photo editing program, or...

To resize photos I use 2 programs:

PixResizer (can do 1 pic, or a folder full all at once, but doesn't handle drag & drop to it's logo)

http://pixresizer.en.softonic.com/

Fast Image Resizer (drag & drop your photo onto it)

http://download.cnet...4-10655681.html

Edited by WayneC

After waiting an extra day my Avanti arrived yesterday (Sunday) at 3:30 pm. Needless to say, it is less than I hoped for but more than I expected, but aren't they all. It started right up, no smoking, trans engaged smoothly, and backed off the trailor. Easing it around back I had to begin the tedious inspection process. First thing was to unload the extra items included. Tires, steel wheels, Avanti logo wire hubcaps, etc.Then took a small ball-peen hammer to the hog troughs. Just as promised by the prior owner (since spring of '80) I was pleased the find the troughs completely solid front to rear on both sides of the car. The "metallic ring" of solid metal was music to my ears. This car is so original it hurts. Found one curiosity though. At the rear of the troughs, on both sides, there is a 1/4" hole drilled in the center botton about an inch forward of the rear wheel opening. They look to be original as the car was ordered with undercoating which is readily apparent around the hole. Factory or not maybe this is one thing that helped save the troughs. Not sure how as the car has a definate forward rake. Not much but noticable. Go figure.With the exception of the interior door/quarter panel inserts, it matches the build sheet exactly. Calls for "Brandy Suede" but has Gold velour instead.The doors, trunk lid, and hood all open and close easily. All body lines and gaps are uniform. Power windows, power locks, quarter windows, sun/moon roof all function easily. All the switches and lights function properly. Clean and dry underneath. No signs of any sort of leakage from any component. The gaskets all seem to be still soft and pliable. I have a trick to refurbish them which I plan to do anyway. The hood pad is seperating and pulling away from the underside of the hood. Not sure how or what to do there but I'll figure it out.Original owner bought it in the summer of '79 through Borg Pontiac in Downers Grove Ill. The 2nd owner, who I got the car from, bought it in the spring of '80. Seems the OP sold it to get a Delorean! Bad move on his part. Anyway, 2nd owner, Mr. Hoyt Lambert Sr., says the door panels are as he bought the car. How or when the change occured is anybody's guess.The car is perfect for my use. Plenty of little things to refurbish and address. Not a restoration but a preservation effort. I think the car is beautiful in it's Chocolat Brown Metallic-Natural Leather livery. And possible one of the few original cars left. Not restored but original.The re-paint in '08 leaves something to be desired. Thin in areas, fish-eyed in others, but presentable. A 10 footer at best. That really doesn't bother me though. I can buff and polish it back to a high shine as it is. Found only one stress crack issue at the front drivers side about 3" back from the leading edge of the hood.. A small crack between the forward hood opening over to the upswept body line. Maybe 1-1/2 " long. Not concerned about it. Original cars should look original. Warts and all.A neighbor 2 doors down saw and heard the transport truck driving up. He ran out to check. Says he was in "the car business" for 40+ years before retiring. He had no clue about the Avanti. Never seen one, never heard the name according to him. But he was impressed with the styling and color combination. Nuff said.So for now I'm sure I found a real gem. A diamond in the rough that I will polish back to as good as it can be yet retain the original un-restored quality of this car.Boogieman

Edited by boogieman

Congratulations! From your description you have a good, solid car. Some cracks in the paint or fiberglass are more or less common after so many years and miles of use. That doesn't mean you have to like having them but it's part of the experience. I maintain that the majority of Avantis out there are in serious need of rebuilding or have already be rebuilt...you have one in the middle...solid driver not requiring a reconstruction unless you want to.

The holes in the hogs may be from a previous owner to allow water to drain...maybe even from the factory...no way of knowing apparently.

The forward rake of the car, which should sit level, is likely from one of two things...either a past owner modified it to restore the Studebaker Avanti rake or the front coil springs may be sagging...not unusual at all with Avantis.

Now you have the car, go over all safety and mechanical items first above all...brakes, etc. Have the engine looked over and tuned if necessary...flush and replace coolant...as much as you want to clean the car and make it shine, a beautiful shine doesn't stop the car should the brakes fail. Unless you have documentation showing mechanical work was done regularly and recently, I would replace the rubber brake hoses and rebuild the calipers and wheel cylinders and completely flush the brake lines. It gives you piece of mind even if it turns out in good condition otherwise.

Enjoy and keep everyone informed on your progress and enjoyment.

Awaiting the package of paperwork, reciepts, invoices, etc. I know full well the perils of over-looking mechanicals, especiall brakes.

The last '65 Corvette coupe I had was supposed to have SS brakes . My surprise one day when the pedal went to the floor as I was entering a major highway. Wouldn't pump up either. Dodged a bullit as I turned it on two wheels down a service road, kicked it into neutral, cut the key off, and stopped with the e-brake. Major pucker factor!

Mechanical issues rate first. I can and will drive an ugly car, but not one that doesn't work first!

Ironically my Vette had cracking issues in exactly the same area. Didn't keep me from driving it. There is a custom hose shop very near to me. I have had braided stainless hoses made before and probably will for the '79, too. Not going to cut corners here. Need to pull and check the master cylinder, brake booster, etc. Lots of attention to the details.

Just starting the process to get it ready for the road. I've waited a very long time for this car so no need to rush now.

Appreciate the advice Gunslinger.

Boogieman

Everybody here has had both good and not so good Avanti experiences so any problems you run into bring them up and someone will have faced it. If the car doesn't come with the shop and parts manuals, get copies of them. Reprints of the Studebaker manuals are easily available. While the manuals are Studebaker specific, there's still lots of help for Avanti II's and can make life much easier. Many of us have figured out work-a-rounds to overcome problems either not addressed by the manual or due to lack of original parts in some cases.

While we can get really worked up over problems...some problems are serious...we have to remember that when the Avanti was designed and built there was little expectation they would still be on the road after so many years. I've seen the fiberglass doors delaminate...how dare they design and build a car where the fiberglass bonding only lasts 40-50 years! Is that a pain in the butt repair? Yes...but regardless of the headache and expense one has to keep things in perspective...it probably wasn't intended to last so long to begin with...or even thought about in that respect.

I'm just happy to have one. And apparently it is a good one. The mechanical stuff I can do.

I found out today that when I register the car here inTexas as an antique vehicle, I can use a '79 speciffic plate. But only one-in the rear. So I have to find the front center bumper rubber insert where the front plate would go if required. $165 fron Nostalgic might be the going rate but I have other issues ahead of that.

And no luck finding a '79 plate that isn't a mixed jumble of offensive or meaningless numbers and letters. XQZ 945 or some such.

I'll look again tomorrow. The prices we pay to be so very exotic indeed.

Boogieman

Congratulations on your purchase! Does the 79 have a 350 as the motor backed with a Turbo-hydramatic 400 trans? I have a 76, 2392, ("April" in the AOAI 2014 calendar), a little over 500 ahead of yours. Gunny has given you some good advice on what to get checked out. Depending on how long the car was stored, you might want to get the gas tank cleaned out and recoated. Replacing the gas lines and any rubber connections might be in order as well. If you're looking at original brake lines, a rebuild of the rears, replacement of the lines and rebuilding the fronts might be the first project. The Turner conversions for the front are well worth the money. Dan Booth and other suppliers also have the replacement brake lines. I pretty much went through my 76 when I got it in Jan 2011 and had a mechanical restoration done. I've put over 16000 miles on the car since getting it, similar to what you are wanting to do with yours, Drive it and Enjoy it!

If you decide to go to the Turner brake conversion kit, it comes with new front rubber brake hoses. The cost of the Turner kit is comparable to replacing the front brakes with original spec parts...a little extra labor involved but not that much.

Good advice gentlemen. This is my first Avanti but I have owned over 300 cars personally since '64 and had to do some sort of work on most of them. For Avanti speciffic issues I have this forum and the knowledge base there-in. Trust me, I will be asking questions.

Excited about getting my hands dirty, again.

This car was stored but driven locally for years. Even a daily driver for a while. So far I have not gotten even a whiff of gas smell in my closed garage. The previous owner belonged to the Avanti Club of Florida, and was supposedly active there. The car is well maintained and serviced locally according to receipts that came with the car. I am comfortable with the current condition.

But will address anything needing replacement or upgrading. Safety issues will be upgraded as needed. After-all, this is a 50+ year old design and can stand modernizing with no detrament to the car.

According to the engine number on the build sheet, the 350 has a TH350 which suites me just fine. I do plan on maintaining the originality of the car, not wanting to start replacing everything soon. There can't be that many original ones left at this point.

Case in point. The build sheet lists a Black Brandy Suede interior door and quarter panel insert. Looking closer last night I see that what I thought was a gold velour is in fact the correct suede but completely faded from the original Black Brandy. The leather will need to be replaced sometime and I know my upholstery guy can replicate the inserts too. Natural leather with Brandy inserts on a Dark Brown Metallic body ought to be stunning. I will find out.

You can certainly take our suggestions with a grain of salt...it's your car. When it come to suggestion of converting to the Turner brake system...the original system is an excellent design. There are a couple of potential issues...first it was originally designed for cars about 1000 pounds lighter so it's more or less at the edge of it capabilities with a car the size of an Avanti. It's worked since day 1 and can continue to do so. Now...if it needs serious maintenance such as calipers and rotors...while available, they're quite expensive. To replace these parts if necessary runs as much as the entire Turner kit, so it's pretty much a no-brainer doing the conversion.

That's all I was getting at...you can decide as you go through the car.

Of all the things I need to be checking into on my '79 I pulled the grill and bumper push bar last night.

Grill in great shape. Had to straighten a couple of bars. Should polish nicely.

The bumper cylinders pose another issue. I would like to see them gone but they are part of the frame horns and therefore not removable. Other than taking the sawzall to them or covering the ends with running lights, any sugestions?

I know this will change the originality of the car but they are so ugly IMHP.

I had the push bar removed when I had some work done on the car. Fog lights were attached to the bar, they were removed along with the forward part of the safety bumper bars. Lights were then mounted to where the bars come through the grille, just under the bumper. They look good there, but its harder to get them aimed.

Congratulations...I love to hear stories like yours, finally getting an Avanti after all these years.

Your car sounds like it has a great period color combination. I like your efforts to leave it stock, but the great thing about a "II" is you have the leeway to do some interior color/material changes and get away with it.

I enjoy driving mine and I know you'll have fun driving yours.

Of all the things I need to be checking into on my '79 I pulled the grill and bumper push bar last night.

Grill in great shape. Had to straighten a couple of bars. Should polish nicely.

The bumper cylinders pose another issue. I would like to see them gone but they are part of the frame horns and therefore not removable. Other than taking the sawzall to them or covering the ends with running lights, any sugestions?

I know this will change the originality of the car but they are so ugly IMHP.

You can remove the front safety bumper, cut off the parts that attach the bumper to the frame and reattach as it was to support the radiator and front bumper. The grill is made of 1/8" stainless steel rod and pieces can be Migged/Tigged to fill the spaces and return it to look like the earlier models. The body can be repaired with fiberglass and you'll never know it was cut up. If you need, I have a few shots of the mods on my 74 bumper bracket, but just looking at it will show you where you need to cut it at an down angle.

I'm not a fan of driving lights so they set in storage from both my 83 and 74. I use heavy duty headlights instead.

Bob