More Than Usual

Guest dapy

As an everyday eBay watcher I note that there are three R2's and two convertibles listed. One of the R2's is $60K but the others are reasonable and the convertibles are a steal.

I saw that $60k car on Ebay as well. It's another example of someone mistaking money invested with market value...two different things. Few automobiles can justify their restoration costs with being financially profitable afterwards. If that's someone's business model they're on a fast track to the poor house.

We restore Avantis because we love the car...not because it will make money on the flip side. Regrettable but it is reality.

Well said. Studebaker Avantis are expensive to restore. Past restorations notwithstanding. Looks to me like those selling need work but not full restoration.

The $60k Ebay owner reminds me of this "1962 1/2" Craigslist owner. "Gee sweetie, the Avanti is just not selling. I wonder why?" This car was offered for $50k before and they've since lowered their price. Same message, money spent does not equal the return.

"42nd car made out of 59." When exactly were 59 cars made? Not during any month of Studebaker production. There were 59 made in 1966, though this isn't a II.

Archived