jdm

I have a 63 R-1 and need help in confirming correct wiring sequence on the distributor cap. When looking down on the cap and assuming the spring clip facing forward is 12:00, is the #1 tower at 11:00 or 1:00? Having trouble starting and want to make sure that wiring is correct. All help is appreciated. Thank you in advance. Joe

Joe, Assuming you have an "Avanti workshop manual" (which you MUST have) refer to the electrical section page #9 fig #5. After the crankshaft timing mark has been set at 0 degrees then start to lower the distributor into the block with the rotor facing the front of engine (near the 1 o'clock position) the distributor will fall into the correct position nearing the 11 o'clock position...........REFER TO THE BOOK.......... I also recommend that you purchase a copy of "What the shop manual won't tell you" by Stan Gundy a must have if you're doing your own work on the car! I hope this reply has helped you.........Fred

Edited by avantifred

Joe, Assuming you have an "Avanti workshop manual" (which you MUST have) refer to the electrical section page #9 fig #5. After the crankshaft timing mark has been set at 0 degrees then start to lower the distributor into the block with the rotor facing the front of engine (near the 1 o'clock position) the distributor will fall into the correct position nearing the 11 o'clock position...........REFER TO THE BOOK.......... I also recommend that you purchase a copy of "What the shop manual won't tell you" by Stan Gundy a must have if you're doing your own work on the car! I hope this reply has helped you.........Fred

Thank you Fred for the prompt reply. I do have the manuals. The distributor is in the engine. What I want to validate is the correct wiring sequence for each spark plug wire into the distributor cap to ensure that they are in the proper tower. The only visual reference I could come up with was using the forward facing spring clip on the cap to determine which tower is for the #1 cylinder. The manuals give the proper firing sequence around the cap but don't give a good visual reference point to start from. Any additional info you can provide is much appreciated. Thanks, Joe

Joe.....Good news, in typical "Stude" fashion everything required some digging! The shop book page #8 in the electrical section shows #1 on the left bank of cylinders BUT it shows the distributor in the front of the engine. If I had designed aircraft parts like that I would have been fired a long time ago! As I kept digging, lo and behold, on page 26 of the owners guide booklet it states: "Note: No. 1 is the front cylinder of the left bank and No.2 is the front cylinder on the right bank." Do you have the "Owners guide" book ?...needless to say it came in handy this time! I hope this clears things up a little.

Fred, I appreciate your responses. It is the distributor cap wiring sequence that I want to verify. Which tower does the #1 spark plug wire go into? I have the correct firing order as far as the cylinders go.

The #1 tower location for the distributor cap is illustrated in the picture on page 9 of the Workshop Manual electrical section. By following the Distributor installation directions on that page the distributor should line up properly. Thus the rotator will point to #1 as illustrated. The remaining plug wires can then be inserted as illustrated in figure 3 on page 8. I hope this helps. Enjoy the ride.

Thank you guys for the above info. I am still having trouble getting it to fire. I verified correct wiring to plugs. I have cleaned and re-gapped all plugs. Checked gap on points, replaced the coil and condensor. I verified 12+ volts to - side of coil with ign in on position.

Now I have two more questions.

When I take the distributor cap off, I can rotate the rotor a few degrees counter clockwise. I am assuming that is the advance weight plate allowing for this. Is this correct? Should I be able to manually rotate it these few degrees? Or does this indicate a distributor drive problem?

Second, I am wondering if it is getting too much fuel at start? If I screw the 2 idle mixture screws clockwise to full stop how many turns should I back them out to attempt an initial start?

This is getting really frustrating. I appreciate any additional advice. Sure would like to get it started before the snow flies.

I see you're reading 12v on the negative side of the coil. When the points are closed you should read 0v there or only a very small amount. When the points are open there should be 12v there. If you're reading a significant voltage there with the points closed, check the connections on the wire running from the points to the coil. If that's good try running a ground wire from the breaker plate to the engine.