Our story...a history

James Bond

Oh I will. Having owned and built several unique cars, I am very familiar and comfortable with "the fish bowl effect". People just love to gawk at unusual well built cars.

Even had a guy once flag me down and offered to trade his wife for my '65 Corvette coupe. No? How much you take for it then? $45,000? Give me your number. I'll call you. Never heard from that guy. Sold it.

My '68 R/T Charger (1 of 211 built) won a Top 10 at the Mopar Southwest regionals. Proud of that. Sold it.

My 1935 Plymouth Delux 2-door Touring sedan won a "Best Engineered" award at the '92 NSRA Southwest Mini Nationals. Very proud of that. And it won a "Sponsors Pick" at a regional Ronald McDonald House charity show. My favority award. Still own.

And others.

Boogieman

I walk past by baby, stopping to look. Incredible! Is my baby really mine? The fact that it is, is a constant miracle to me!!

Likewise here.

My garage is three cars wide and two cars deep. That means my two "toys" are in the back of the garage away from the door. Every time I park my car, I get a great rear 3/4 view of the Avanti. And every time I say..."The Avanti looks nice". My wife is ready to kill me for saying it all the time!

Likewise, the huge brass radiator of my Bearcat reflects on the hood of my car...which has a nice curve and a Mercedes hood ornament sticking up from it. That shot looks worthy of a painting. Every time I see that, I remind myself whatever problems I may have, I'm a lucky guy.

Oh I will. Having owned and built several unique cars, I am very familiar and comfortable with "the fish bowl effect". People just love to gawk at unusual well built cars.

Even had a guy once flag me down and offered to trade his wife for my '65 Corvette coupe. No? How much you take for it then? $45,000? Give me your number. I'll call you. Never heard from that guy. Sold it.

My '68 R/T Charger (1 of 211 built) won a Top 10 at the Mopar Southwest regionals. Proud of that. Sold it.

My 1935 Plymouth Delux 2-door Touring sedan won a "Best Engineered" award at the '92 NSRA Southwest Mini Nationals. Very proud of that. And it won a "Sponsors Pick" at a regional Ronald McDonald House charity show. My favority award. Still own.

And others.

Boogieman

Wow! Quite impressive!!

Likewise here.

My garage is three cars wide and two cars deep. That means my two "toys" are in the back of the garage away from the door. Every time I park my car, I get a great rear 3/4 view of the Avanti. And every time I say..."The Avanti looks nice". My wife is ready to kill me for saying it all the time!

Likewise, the huge brass radiator of my Bearcat reflects on the hood of my car...which has a nice curve and a Mercedes hood ornament sticking up from it. That shot looks worthy of a painting. Every time I see that, I remind myself whatever problems I may have, I'm a lucky guy.

You are a lucky guy! I would love to see a picture! Just about every night, I'll just stand there and look at my baby. Sometimes I'll talk to it and my wife will say, "You're talking to a car". It's not just a car...it's my baby! She understands, but she still thinks I'm a little crazy!

• 2 weeks later...

I got up at 7am this morning. Light snow was falling...:(.

The Avanti nay have had its last drive of the year, I took it for its annual oil change Thursday.

But we usually have a few nice days, last year I was able to take both my cars out on Dec. 1...that's quite an achievement for the roadster.

The Avanti nay have had its last drive of the year, I took it for its annual oil change Thursday.

But we usually have a few nice days, last year I was able to take both my cars out on Dec. 1...that's quite an achievement for the roadster.

Even in the snowy months, I'll back it out into the driveway and let it run. I'll go in and out of the garage, to let the "humors" circulate.

Yesterday was a great day in Northern IL / Southern WI. We took the 76 on a AACA outing and drove up to Cedarburg WI after the AACA event, a 400 mile day. Sadly though, the IL driving season is coming to an end. I guess that's another reason to retire in the South or West, extend the Avanti driving season!

Yesterday was a great day in Northern IL / Southern WI. We took the 76 on a AACA outing and drove up to Cedarburg WI after the AACA event, a 400 mile day. Sadly though, the IL driving season is coming to an end. I guess that's another reason to retire in the South or West, extend the Avanti driving season!

Yeah...same here in the Northeast!

• 4 weeks later...

I am new to your group. Just purchased an 83 Avanti and having an engine exchanged, I can not wait for the spring to meet the open road.

When I was in High School in 1962-1966 each day the school bus would pass a Studebaker dealer and I would immediatly turn my head to admire the Hawks and Avanti's on the lot and in the showroom. Now semi retired I am meeting my dream having purchased a 62 GT Hawk last year and getting it back on the road; I will now start on the Avainti recreating that vision again --but now in my own garage.