lug nuts

Pat K

New problem.

When I first looked at the car, it had its original spokes on. When I came back, the dealer had replaced with mags which I really like. Last weekend I polished up the spokes and took them down to rehang them. Only problem, I didn't get the original lug nuts that went with the spokes and nobody in our small town has anything that fits and the dealer thinks he threw his away?

Anyone know 1) where I might be able to purchase some lug nuts that will fit or 2) what wheels are on an '84 Avanti? Studebaker? Chevy?

Do you have true knock-off wire wheels or wire-spokes that use lug nuts instead of knock-off type? If you have Borrani wire spokes you may require special lug nuts but I can't say for sure.

The size you need is 1/2" right hand thread lug nuts...same size as Ford, Mopar, AMC. It has a 4 1/2" bolt circle...same as Ford, Mopar and AMC. They should be available at any auto parts store. If you need chrome lug nuts, any Pep Boys, Advance Auto, Auto Zone or other parts store should carry them as well.

Before going to the auto parts store, let me make one more observation about the lug nuts. They have to have a flange on the nut to hold the wheel to the hub. If i had your email address, I could show you a picture but I assume you get the idea. I suppose there is some way to attach a picture to this forum but I am a little technically challenged.

You've described your wheels as "spokes". Do you mean true wire spoke wheels or some other sport wheel with something that could be called "spokes" but aren't the same thing, like a Cragar S/S. Wheels like Cragars and others use lug nuts with flanged shoulders due to the wheels having an aluminum center welded to a steel rim.

I think before anyone can give you a good answer to where you can get the correct lug nuts, we need to know what brand wire spoke wheels you have, if they are wire spokes. You could have Borrani, Dayton or some other make not installed by Avanti Motors. I understand the kind of lug nuts you're describing, but there's different depths for different applications.

I will have to go check to see if there is a brand name. I assumed they were original equipment because they have an Avanti logo in their center. Other than that, they are just chrome, wire spoke wheels attached to the hub with 5 chrome lug nuts. I guess this is more of a mystery than I thought it would be. I will give the wheels a closer inspection.

• 1 month later...

OK. Problem solved - maybe.

I have Dayton wire wheels manufactured in 1982. They are still in business, talked to them today and they were very confident what lug nut I needed. They are on their way. I will let you know how it all turns out.

Contact info.

Thank you for your interest in Dayton Wire Wheels, The lugnuts are available by calling the factory at 1-937-438-0100 ext. 210, They sell for $ 6.00 each and include a stainless washer.

Gary Buckles

Dayton Wire Wheels

115 Compark Road

Dayton, Ohio

1-800-862-6000...ext. 210

1-937-438-0100..Direct

1-937-438-1215...Fax

gbuckles@daytonwheel.com

I have dealt with Gary before and he is very good to work with. When I switched from aluminum "magnum" style wheels to the 70 spoke Dayton direct bolt-ons, lug nuts needed to be changed due to age and also different lengths to the shanks of the nuts. At $6.00 per lug nut, they are pricey as are the wire wheels, but I'm an old fashioned type that thinks the best looking wheel on the Avanti is wire wheels on narrow white wall tires.

Would love to post a pix, but I haven't figured out how to reduce my pix size as they are around 700K and the max size to upload is 500K. I have no issues with it on the Studebaker forum or FB, just here.

Just realized, my 76's pix as well as other examples are on the home page by clicking the link to the judging for the AOAI at Colorado Springs. Take a look.

OK. It looks cool. But I have to jar my artistic sensibilities back to my high school days (which was about 100 years ago) when white walls were popular and black walls were considered ugly. In fact, the only reason you had black walls is because you couldn't afford white walls.

The process is painful.