Mufflers for my 70

Avanti7

Hi I'm Jim and a newbe to this forum. I recently purchased my first Avanti II, a 1970, 350/300, AT. I am very happy with this Avanti (I could have have used the word "car" but I love saying and typing Avanti). I want to change the mufflers to Flowmasters 40 series. The present mufflers are new and put on with U clamps, but I don't like the sound. Have any of you guys put Flowmaster 40 series on your Avanti's. Also with the U clamps I plan to change these out myself. Thanks for your help.

I have Magnaflows on my '70 and like the deep, mellow tone that opens up at speed. I've found Flowmaster...while an excellent product...to have a loud, very raspy sound. I'm not 25 anymore so I'm lost past liking the raspy sound that shakes windows when driving down the street.

BTW - welcome to the forum!

Edited by Gunslinger

Gunslinger thanks for your reply. I'm about a hundred years past 25 myself. I will look into Magnaflow. Hadn't thought about those. Is there a series number or name of yours. Also did you stay with the stock 2" system"

Agree with Bruce on Magnaflows. My 83 has a Simmons 2 1/4" SS exhaust with a pair of Magnaflow 11215 oval glasspacks on it.

This is what they sound like up close, 355 SBC roller cam, alum heads, Holley EFI driven by a 70 YO that never grew up.

Bob

I couldn't locate the paperwork for the Magnaflows on the car (they're stored away), but I believe they're part numbers 11216 Magnaflows. As I said before, they're 2 1/2" diameter pipes on the car. When the shop that fabricated the exhaust I specified that size as I wanted the engine to breathe!