Dick Van Dyke's 63 R-1 is up for auction

J Boyle

The Peterson museum in LA is having a bit of a sell off. Among the cars being sold is the white 63 Avanti originally bought by film/TV star Dick Van Dyke. Its serial is 1783. It would be interesting to see what the car goes for. What's neat about this car is Van Dyke was/is a car guy (I'm surprised he had an R-1 and not a R-2) and a big star of the Avanti-era (as apposed to an Avanti owned by a star of the 40s or 80s...if you get my point). http://www.auctionsamerica.com/events/feature-lots.cfm?SaleCode=BB13&ID=r375&Order=runorder&feature=&collection=&grouping=&category=Cars

Edited by J Boyle

This an example of insufficient information on which to value the car. There are mistakes in the description and no mention of total miles, any past or present renovation, or whether it has been driven enough to be reliable. Likely a "hanger queen". Still celebrity auctions seem to bring unrealistically high prices so while this car might get a $20K eBay bid the auction might go for $10K more. And of course the auctioneer has to be paid.

This car was on display in early June at the Gilmore Heritage Auto Show (Los Angeles Farmers Market). It was very clean but I recall that it could not be run (rear axle problem?) and had to be pushed or towed from its parking spot.

Check out Avanti magazine Issue 156 for the cover story on the Dick Van Dyke Avanti, when it was on display at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA) in 2011.

• 2 months later...

Yes, that's true. There are about 6-8 Avantis in town. A few are seen occasionally...but even long-time Avanti owners have never seen 1 or 2.

Only two are driven a lot, however only one (mine) goes to non-SDC events.

Likewise the next town over...one owner of two cars is a member of SDC and AOAI, the others are rarely seen.

But it's not just Avanti owners. I belong to the local multi-make old car club. The average age is 60+++ and many guys never drive their cars. I have one friend with about 20. He only drives 3-4 and still buys more. He has a great rare/expensive classic he hasn't driven in years.

Then, there are the guys with old cars that do nothing to them. One guy and his brother inherited a 20s Stutz sedan, a rare car. It's been in a garage for 35+ years. They don't belong to the Stutz club, so the car is really unknown. Pity.

There are millions of stories like this out there. But AOAI guys who gripe about the low values of the car need to get off their backsides and restore and/or drive their cars.

Edited by J Boyle

I thought I said that. If you know the local owners call them to encourage their use. They will never see your comment here.

A 63 R2 is listed on eBay for $60K. What about that?

Edited by dapy