VIN from original buyer in 1971?

nwgreen

Hello,

I am trying to locate the VIN from a 1971 Avanti II that has a family connection.  I am just wondering if it still exists somewhere or is sadly no longer with us.  Is there any way to get the VIN from factory records if I know the name and address of the original purchaser?

A bit more on the car...

My father purchased it brand new (drove to North Bend, from WI and spec'ed it out, and back to pick it up) in the summer of 1971.  I was born in October 1971 and that was the car the drove me home from the hospital.  It wasn't the most practical car for a family of four but my father loved it.  It was silver with red leather interior (I think on the interior).  Anyway I hope to find it out there somewhere...

Thanks for reading.

11 hours ago, nwgreen said:

Hello,

I am trying to locate the VIN from a 1971 Avanti II that has a family connection.  I am just wondering if it still exists somewhere or is sadly no longer with us.  Is there any way to get the VIN from factory records if I know the name and address of the original purchaser?

A bit more on the car...

My father purchased it brand new (drove to North Bend, from WI and spec'ed it out, and back to pick it up) in the summer of 1971.  I was born in October 1971 and that was the car the drove me home from the hospital.  It wasn't the most practical car for a family of four but my father loved it.  It was silver with red leather interior (I think on the interior).  Anyway I hope to find it out there somewhere...

Thanks for reading.

I believe that you mean South Bend, Indiana.  Good luck on your search.  

9 hours ago, silverstude said:

Look through these entries

https://studebaker-info.org/avantiRQBx1.html#rqb1600

1971's started at RQB-1600 and ran through RQB-1776

All production Avantis are not listed however

What do you base that range of VINs on?  My records show RQB 1600 - RQB 1721 for 1971 models.  The link that you give shows all the way to RQB 1802 as a 1971 (that I believe is clearly a 1972 model).  

Edited by studegary
changed B to R

If you know who insured the car during your family's ownership they may be able to check the file showing the VIN. Also, if you have any photos showing the license plate you could check with that states DMV. Modern day privacy laws may present roadblocks but since you are family maybe not.  

Dan Booth at Nostalgic Motors has all the build sheets and he might be able to find your build sheet as its only about a150 car range. If your dad ordered the car and it was built with his choice of features, then his name should be on the build sheet. If your dad owned a company, he may have purchased it in the company name so give both names if thats the case. I have seen a few Avanti IIs like that. Good Luck!  

On 6/2/2020 at 8:18 PM, Paul K. said:

If you know who insured the car during your family's ownership they may be able to check the file showing the VIN. Also, if you have any photos showing the license plate you could check with that states DMV. Modern day privacy laws may present roadblocks but since you are family maybe not.  

Dan Booth at Nostalgic Motors has all the build sheets and he might be able to find your build sheet as its only about a150 car range. If your dad ordered the car and it was built with his choice of features, then his name should be on the build sheet. If your dad owned a company, he may have purchased it in the company name so give both names if thats the case. I have seen a few Avanti IIs like that. Good Luck!  

Thank you for the tips, I'll give it a try!