Avanti AM-FM Stereo!

mfg

After suffering way too long with a failing Blaupunkt radio in my 1983 Avanti "everyday driver" .....I bit the bullet and ordered a new AM-FM receiver a couple weeks ago.

I purchased this radio, which I installed yesterday, from a firm called Custom Autosound, located in Fullerton, California.

They specialize in radios which fit, as they say, "The Great Classic Vehicles"....and each of their units is custom made to fit the particular car. (perfect fit, no cutting of the dash required)

Well, the install went well, with all the new harness wires clearly marked.....It sounds great!..... And I just want to say that I'm very happy with this firm's products!:)

The cost, I thought, was quite reasonable....about $189 (plus shipping), and comes with a two year warranty.

(The unit I purchased is called the Concours Series..USA-230, to fit '63-'85 Avanti dashboards)

I'm glad you're happy with it.  CAS has a long-time reputation for less than sterling reviews but they've been one of the few options for someone wanting an updated sound system which doesn't require a lot of mods to the dash.  Maybe they've upped their game...hopefully so.

3 hours ago, Gunslinger said:

I'm glad you're happy with it.  CAS has a long-time reputation for less than sterling reviews but they've been one of the few options for someone wanting an updated sound system which doesn't require a lot of mods to the dash.  Maybe they've upped their game...hopefully so.

OUCH!...well, thanks for your input, and I guess I'll have to keep my fingers crossed......I will say the radio seems to do all its supposed to do....So far!!:rolleyes:

I purchased an AM/FM with Bluetooth and new speakers from RetroSound last year https://www.retromanufacturing.com  (they offer a Satellite radio option as well)  Did the install myself with all new wiring to both doors, as well as the rear deck lid. Very pleased with the sound and their customer support. After the installation I wondered why I couldn't hear the radio or music from my iPhone very well while driving. Turns out, the cause was the placement of door panel speakers...behind the front seats and below waist level (1971 Avanti II). I couldn't  move the door panel speakers forward or up due to clearance problems in the doors. I didn't want to mess up the clean look of the cabin with surface mounted speakers. So my solution was to series wire two mini speakers into the front dash grille (which never had a speaker).  Now I can hear the radio just fine in the front seat without blasting out those in the rear! I have pictures of the install if anyone is interested in tackling a radio replacement themselves.

• 6 months later...

UPDATE.....After listening to and enjoying my 'Custom Autosound' AM-FM radio virtually every day for the last seven months, I'll just say that I'm very satisfied with this item!

Custom Autosound Company actually e-mailed me about three months after I purchased their radio to ask how I liked the unit, and if I had any issues or comments....I was impressed with that personal touch!......Ed :)

• 9 months later...
On 5/25/2020 at 9:19 AM, mfg said:

After suffering way too long with a failing Blaupunkt radio in my 1983 Avanti "everyday driver" .....I bit the bullet and ordered a new AM-FM receiver a couple weeks ago.

I purchased this radio, which I installed yesterday, from a firm called Custom Autosound, located in Fullerton, California.

They specialize in radios which fit, as they say, "The Great Classic Vehicles"....and each of their units is custom made to fit the particular car. (perfect fit, no cutting of the dash required)

Well, the install went well, with all the new harness wires clearly marked.....It sounds great!..... And I just want to say that I'm very happy with this firm's products!:)

The cost, I thought, was quite reasonable....about $189 (plus shipping), and comes with a two year warranty.

(The unit I purchased is called the Concours Series..USA-230, to fit '63-'85 Avanti dashboards)

I'm thinking along similar lines for my 81.  But is there some guide to removing the existing radio?  There seems no obvious way and don't want to damage the panel.  thanks!