Brake Drums Rub Backing Plates

Paul K.

I removed the rear axles and repacked the rear bearings on my 63 Avanti. It has a single track and not a Twin Traction rear. I re-installed the same hubs on the axles and everything else as it came out including the same shims on the right side. Now, both rear drums rub the backing plates. Also, there is virtually ZERO end play on the left axle. The right one feel normal. Not sure what went wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes I did. I took the axles out and checked everything but there was nothing wrong. So I just put the drums on a brake lathe and machined down the edge just enough so they did not rub. Looking at the drums on a lathe, they were not true in the areas where they were rubbing. Seeing this I guess that the drums being aftermarket were just not cast right. This car had been sitting for over 30 years and was never driven before I took the axles out so I do not know if they were rubbing before I took things apart. Machining the drums wasn't my first choice but after checking and double checking everything it seemed like the only fix.

Some people put lubricant or never seize on the taper of the rear axle.

If you do that the nut will keep tightening and the drum goes on too far and the backing plates will rub

It can also split the hub.

These axles are designed to go together dry.

I sometimes put some fine grinding compound on the axle taper and put the drum on without the key and turn the drum on the axle to indicate low anf high spots

caused by damage.

Clean the shaft good before putting the drum on and install the key, but leave it dry.

Robert Kapteyn