Power Window

Guest dapy

Guest dapy

I just joined the infamous power window failure club. Mine's a 1989 and I understand that the motors are same as Ford Mustang. Fortunately it is up and not down. Any suggestions?

dapy, I was told by Gary Johnson, owner of the Avanti Dealership in Tacoma, WA, that the window regulators are "LaBaron Convertible units, two wire Bosch. Usually the motor only but check for mechanicals binding". BUT FIRST, make sure it is not the switch. Lift up the console wood panel and make sure the connections to the switch are good. If not, then connect the wiring connector to one of the other three switches and see if you have a switch problem. You can actually take the switch apart, clean it and reassemble. Also check the contacts and different switch positions (on a couple of these switches) to see if you have the same continuity paths. If you need a new switch, contact George Dimitsas at Olympic Avanti 773-486-6026. Last two I bought from him were about $90 each -- ouch. Seems they were made for Freightliner. Call me if you want to talk about this more.

Yes...first make sure the window is actually receiving power. The ammeter or voltmeter (whichever your car has) should show a big movement if the window motor has power and can't move the window. If the gauge shows movement, your switch must be ok. It could be the window motor requiring a rebuild or replacement or mechanical binding as already stated.

The motors are generally rebuildable for less than the cost of new, but if you buy new, it can simply be removed and replaced at the same time rather than letting the car sit while a rebuilder has the motor.

Hi dapy, If you find the motor is bad I replaced my '89 driver side motor last yr...I bought the replacement from S. Florida Window Lift, 954-763-4413, Their # 68-41, $49.50 incl shipping. I have a pictures of my old motor if you are interested. Email me at mgrutza@gmrsales.com The job is pretty easy to do. Mike

Hi

The motors are Chrysler and should be readily available make sure you check the drive gear as they are known to break one of the teeth off as they hit the up or down stop on the quadrant

Mr T

Hi ... I have a 1988 Avanti convert and just went throught the same thing. A few years ago the pasenger rear wire frayed. I went through all the they came out of lebaron converts, AMC Renault Alliance etc etc and other cars, don't waste your time. Even if you are so lucky to find what Avanti Motors used you would have to break the welds on the brackets they welded on so it would fit in the car, then reweld them on the one you found. I just got mine back from a company called Window Motor World inc out of Boone, NC 1-800-252-2649 ( windowmotorworld.net ) I had the whole complete regulator taken out and shipped. They replaced the motor with a newer one and replaced the cable with a thicker cable and guarantee it for 1 year. Call them for current pricing. I got a new motor, new cable and they paid shipping to me. They turned it around in a couple of days. Save your time and energy and have these guys do it. As soon as winter comes I will send them the other side to have it done.

Guest dapy

David,

Thanks. I am in contact with Window Motor World. Did you or they determine the OEM source for the motor and part number?

Guest dapy

I have ordered Mopar part # 4336601 as a power window replacement motor. We'll see if it solves the problem. Brad Bez was helpful as was Jon Myer.

Edited by dapy

I just joined the infamous power window failure club. Mine's a 1989 and I understand that the motors are same as Ford Mustang. Fortunately it is up and not down. Any suggestions?

I just had mine "fixed", it was a couple of loose wires, also my antenna, had a loose ground wire, and didn't work either. Both fixed for $230.00. Radio still doesn't work!