Wiped Avanti!

mfg

If a 1964 Studebaker Avanti's windshield wipers sometimes fail to park properly, the most likely problem will be......?........

1) Mis-adjusted wiper park mechanism......2) Faulty circuit breaker.......3) Bad ground at wiper switch.......or......4) Bad connection at electric washer circuit

1 hour ago, mfg said:

If a 1964 Studebaker Avanti's windshield wipers sometimes fail to park properly, the most likely problem will be......?........

1) Mis-adjusted wiper park mechanism......2) Faulty circuit breaker.......3) Bad ground at wiper switch.......or......4) Bad connection at electric washer circuit

Answer: #3) bad ground at wiper switch. 

Your use of "sometimes" eliminates the common #1.  The ground problem is usually encountered with the wood applique.  This may cause the circuit breaker to cycle, but the circuit breaker #2 itself is not the problem.  

4 hours ago, studegary said:

Answer: #3) bad ground at wiper switch. 

Your use of "sometimes" eliminates the common #1.  The ground problem is usually encountered with the wood applique.  This may cause the circuit breaker to cycle, but the circuit breaker #2 itself is not the problem.  

And #3 is CORRECT!:)....( I specified 1964 Avanti models as they would normally have the quasi-woodgrain dash....and I wrote "sometimes" as this problem did not necessarily always occur on woodgrain equipped Studebaker Avantis!)

• 8 months later...

Thanks @studegary! Your tip was gold. A proper earth connection with woodgrain is nearly impossible. I uses a cable to make a connection between the switch housing and the dash beam.

To my surprise, that did not fix it. After long searching with the ohm meter, I found the switch itself to be faulty. The connection between the housing (now proper earthed) and a trace inside the switch was bad. It is on the edge of the housing. I used solder to make a lasting connection.

Edited by Kodjo