Why?

James Bond

A second idea: we entered our '89 Convertible in the neighboring small town Memorial Day car show last Saturday and as always, I had great fun in talking up Avanti history. Specifically, we created a window placard that explains a bit about the car and its history. I do explain it is one of only 228 convertibles, it cost $52,000 in 1989, etc. This is only 8 1/2 x 11 mounted in a Plexiglas sleeve that we place on the windshield (not the ground), and it gets read by a lot of people. Peace.................

I post a authentic reproduction window sticker, laminated so I can reuse it, taped in my left rear passenger window.

It details the options and prices for my specific car. It does wonders is fighting the notion that Studebakers (Avantis at least) were cheap "family cars".

People are surprised to see my car stickered at $5400...Corvette and Cadillac money.

Again, it gives people the idea that the Avanti was a high-end quality car.

It also helps to have a year specific sales brochure, plus I have an issue of Avanti magazine that features my car along with this year's Avanti calendar, which also features my car (July). I think people are impressed that such a limited production car has a club with those quality products. Again, I think it gives the casual viewer the impression that the car is something special.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seem to recall a similar discussion on the SDC Forum and was reminded of the Mustang. Not too long ago, older Mustangs were not bringing down the bucks they are today. Seems that the Mustang Club of America decided to rally together and STOP SELLING their cars for cheap. Obviously this took some time and the Shelby versions helped to add to this. I am amazed at the "feeding frenzy" that goes on at Mecham and Barrett-Jackson auctions with many of the Mustangs that come across the block. It appears to me that increasing awareness of the Avanti comes before increasing their value and the Mustang Club of America model makes sense.

A second idea: we entered our '89 Convertible in the neighboring small town Memorial Day car show last Saturday and as always, I had great fun in talking up Avanti history. Specifically, we created a window placard that explains a bit about the car and its history. I DO NOT LIST all of the changes made to the car, who painted it, etc. I do explain it is one of only 228 convertibles, it cost $52,000 in 1989, etc. This is only 8 1/2 x 11 mounted in a Plexiglas sleeve that we place on the windshield (not the ground), and it gets read by a lot of people. And as folks take the time to read it, I have the opportunity to ask them if they have any questions. So few car owners bother to present this (or any) information or talk up their car. Most owners seem to sit on lawn chairs BEHIND their cars and if you have a question, you have to go seek them out.

One last note, the car show this last Saturday was in the (very) small town of Easton, Washington. This just happens to be the town in which Sherwood Harry Egbert (President of Studebaker Automotive Division and Father of the Avanti) was born and grew up. I had much fun sharing this bit of the history of the Father of the Avanti and his home town roots.

So make up some basic information placards, put them on the windshield of your Avanti at the next car show, and get out there and talk up this wonderful abnormality in automotive history that we have come to appreciate so much. We can change the awareness of the public, one person at a time.

Peace.................

I couldn't put it any better. Information is the key. I'm in the process of making up a showboard. Not a lot of pictures, but a lot of information! I have a copy of the the original sales invoice, along with a picture of the man who did my wood interior. I will display them in my opened trunk. Provenance means everything, at least right now!

I seem to recall a similar discussion on the SDC Forum and was reminded of the Mustang. Not too long ago, older Mustangs were not bringing down the bucks they are today. Seems that the Mustang Club of America decided to rally together and STOP SELLING their cars for cheap. Obviously this took some time and the Shelby versions helped to add to this. I am amazed at the "feeding frenzy" that goes on at Mecham and Barrett-Jackson auctions with many of the Mustangs that come across the block. It appears to me that increasing awareness of the Avanti comes before increasing their value and the Mustang Club of America model makes sense.

A second idea: we entered our '89 Convertible in the neighboring small town Memorial Day car show last Saturday and as always, I had great fun in talking up Avanti history. Specifically, we created a window placard that explains a bit about the car and its history. I DO NOT LIST all of the changes made to the car, who painted it, etc. I do explain it is one of only 228 convertibles, it cost $52,000 in 1989, etc. This is only 8 1/2 x 11 mounted in a Plexiglas sleeve that we place on the windshield (not the ground), and it gets read by a lot of people. And as folks take the time to read it, I have the opportunity to ask them if they have any questions. So few car owners bother to present this (or any) information or talk up their car. Most owners seem to sit on lawn chairs BEHIND their cars and if you have a question, you have to go seek them out.

One last note, the car show this last Saturday was in the (very) small town of Easton, Washington. This just happens to be the town in which Sherwood Harry Egbert (President of Studebaker Automotive Division and Father of the Avanti) was born and grew up. I had much fun sharing this bit of the history of the Father of the Avanti and his home town roots.

So make up some basic information placards, put them on the windshield of your Avanti at the next car show, and get out there and talk up this wonderful abnormality in automotive history that we have come to appreciate so much. We can change the awareness of the public, one person at a time.

Peace.................

Sir, you have said in just a few words what I have beed trying to say in too many, I fear! We CAN change what the public thinks about our gems! And gems they are!! Let people know the story of your undiscovered diamond. Give them something to look at and talk about in subdued awe. Information is our gateway to greater appreciation. Let's learn 'em!!

Guest dapy

Nothing like favorable magazine articles to impress an interested public. AOAI can help create this publicity. The Mustang story worked because there were very good cars that would justify high prices. Raises the image for all, but discourages the entry level interest.

We do not have those show car choices for the Avanti. And who would part with them? On any given day look at those listed at eBay. Prices reflect condition, and many are "projects" even though some sellers think better.

Is the objective to enhance value? Increase demand? Or justify ownership? Different strokes for different folks...

Nothing like favorable magazine articles to impress an interested public. AOAI can help create this publicity. The Mustang story worked because there were very good cars that would justify high prices. Raises the image for all, but discourages the entry level interest.

We do not have those show car choices for the Avanti. And who would part with them? On any given day look at those listed at eBay. Prices reflect condition, and many are "projects" even though some sellers think better.

Is the objective to enhance value? Increase demand? Or justify ownership? Different strokes for different folks...

I think it's all three. Is it so wrong towant to have a rare beauty, that is in demand? Is it so wrong to want your car to be worth what you think it should be? Doesn't it bother you that you're not getting the attention you know your car deserves? I have to tell you...it pisses me off!

Guest dapy

We are in agreement. Wanting is different than 'having' and wishing will not make it so. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. One for the money and two for the show. Take the show on the road. Don't give up. Talk it up. Send the message to AOAI. Truth is I love driving mine and that is about all I need.

You show me yours and I'll show you mine...

Edited by dapy

This car is a work of art. Art is very subjective, very personal. Yet the fundamental design is such that it can't help but speak to those who see it. It is a work of quality, it is a thing of beauty. Those things don't always go hand in hand...this time, they do. People need to know that. We need to educate them, to let them know what this car is, was, and means. Not just for the value, I know I'd never sell my baby. But for the appreciation it deserves. Price is just a way of keeping score of popularity, not of it's intrinsic worth. Those two definitely do not always go hand in hand!

Edited by James Bond

I'm glad you do! I'm sure we're not alone. I'd like to hear from anyone who owns one of these diamonds and tell us what you think! If we are going to increase knowledge among the general populace, we need to increase it to ourselves. C'mon...tell us your story!

Showed my baby at the Woodbury Ct Lion's Club car show. My class was "1981-2001 Production Cars" There were fourteen cars in my category. Among the approximately 300 cars that were there, I was the only Avanti. Many pictures were taken. Several conversations were struck up. It seems to me that people either do, or don't know about this car. When they saw it, they loved it! People will gravitate to quality. If you have a show-able car...show it! Oh, how did I do...I came in second in my category. I should have come in first...but that's for a future rant. Here is the winning ride...http://web.mail.comcast.net/service/home/~/IMG_0198.MOV?auth=co&loc=en_US&id=505181∂=2

My career was national consumer product marketing. Never cars. But many of those that are high priced classics today I bought new. And in retirement I bought and sold 1950-70's airplanes. That is relevant. There is no way to effectively raise the awareness of Avanti to make it more valuable than it is now. Even if there were there would not be enough good cars for sale to improve their market image.

Agreeing with dapy, I've been in sales and marketing as well as buying and selling collector cars on the side for fifty years. Because I've had to keep good records and prove to my wife I was making money on the buy/sell, I watched the markets very, very closely. I've never, ever seen any evidence individual and club efforts can drive consumer demand.My first car was a Model A Ford; was one of the most sought-after entry-level collector cars starting in the 1950s. A restored A was worth more in constant dollars in the 1960s than it is today. Why, you ask? All the old guys born in the 1920s who wanted a Model A roadster when they were in high school are dead now. The Model A Restorers Club is still strong; every part on them is being reproduced, but demand is slack and A-bone owners are even older and grayer than Stude owners.

I . . was reminded of the Mustang. Not too long ago, older Mustangs were not bringing down the bucks they are today. Seems that the Mustang Club of America decided to rally together and STOP aSELLING their cars for cheap. Obviously this took some time and the Shelby versions helped to add to this. I am amazed at the "feeding frenzy" that goes on at Mecham and Barrett-Jackson auctions with many of the Mustangs that come across the block. . . . the Mustang Club of America model makes sense.
I'd want to see some documentation on this statement. When and where is this in print? Like the Model A, the '65-67 Ford Mustang was worth more in constant dollars in the last century than it is today. It's only the very rare K-code and Shelby models which go at auction plus inflation which makes them seem more expensive. Average sale prices for a typical restored Mustang when adjusted for inflation are actually down from their peak. JMHO, but the Mustang Club has zippo effect on demand.

FWIW, I've got a '55 Studebaker pickup, a '56 Hawk and the Avanti. The pickup gets way more attention. Go figure!

jack vines

Edited by PackardV8

Showed my baby at the Woodbury Ct Lion's Club car show. My class was "1981-2001 Production Cars" There were fourteen cars in my category. Among the approximately 300 cars that were there, I was the only Avanti. Many pictures were taken. Several conversations were struck up. It seems to me that people either do, or don't know about this car. When they saw it, they loved it! People will gravitate to quality. If you have a show-able car...show it! Oh, how did I do...I came in second in my category. I should have come in first...but that's for a future rant. Here is the winning ride...http://web.mail.comcast.net/service/home/~/IMG_0198.MOV?auth=co&loc=en_US&id=505181∂=2

I guess you'll have to cut and paste the url!

After I got my award, and exited, while I was making the turn to go, I heard a man say to a young boy, "Look at that beautiful Avanti!" I hope that statement was imprinted upon his young mind. A seed of appreciation. Who knows what kind of fruit that will bear?

I had my car out this weekend and again, got lots of comments.

And if you'll excuse me repeating myself from a couple of pages back...if you want to make Avantis more popular...drive them.

People can't love/like what they can't see.

So get your car out and drive it.

Stop hoarding parts and restore it.

Quit saving miles for the next owner. Drive it.

They're not THAT precious, rare or valuable. Drive it.

It's just a car (and a mass produced one at that). Drive it.

Edited by J Boyle

I can't agree more...the fun of owning these cars is driving them!

When I rebuilt my '70 (and it's away right now at Michael Myer's shop for some changes and upgrades), one of my goals was to get the car in as good a condition as I was comfortable affording and not being afraid to drive it.

If all I had was a garage queen only to be looked at, it would be time to sell it and let someone else have fun.

I had my car out this weekend and again, got lots of comments.

And if you'll excuse me repeating myself from a couple of pages back...if you want to make Avantis more popular...drive them.

People can't love/like what they can't see.

So get your car out and drive it.

Stop hoarding parts and restore it.

Quit saving miles for the next owner. Drive it.

They're not THAT precious, rare or valuable. Drive it.

It's just a car (and a mass produced one at that). Drive it.

You're absolutely right! And I have to admit, I was kind of guilty of that myself! But I've changed my mind. I wanted to keep my mileage low...why? I never intend to sell my gem in my lifetime, so who am I saving it for? At first, I was nervous behind the wheel, looking at all the mirrors like a scared rabbit...no more. When I slip behind the wheel of my baby I'm the coolest guy alive! Also, this last car show I was in showed a heightened interest of this rolling work of art. I think this was due in part to a copy of the original invoice I had displayed propped up against the spare tire in the trunk. So many people stopped, read, and commented in various forms of amazement on just that little piece of information. It gave me the opportunity to tell them of this beauty! So please...drive it, drive it, drive it! And they will come! Or at least come around! Edited by James Bond

Well the BEST thing to do to get name recognition and to place the car in front of "Collector's" who determine price, is to get your car restored, or if it's a great survivor get it out onto the Concour's Circuit. I've been trying to do just that the past few years.

pics of the car and the engine are on this site.

http://imageevent.co...lajollaconcours

I restored 63RQ3848 in 2009 to it's original build sheet(except for the engine) and it was initially shown at the 2009 Arts Center of Pasadena Show, representing Lowey & Kellogg(an Arts Center Graduate). Later it was shown at the 2009 Dana Point Concours and in 2010 at the LaJolla Concours where it won it's Class. After that show win I became afraid to drive the car(I drove it to the show in Lajolla some 15 miles from home). The car became a weekend driver around our Gated Community. This past year, I corrected a few mistakes to the original restoration job and am hoping to get invited to the Palos Verdes Concours Show in September. They are having a Tribute to the 50th Anniversary of the Avanti! I was hoping for a showing at Dana Point this year too, but I'm having some minor health issues that I need to get out of the way before my vacation. I'm now looking for a Trailer to haul the car because I WON"T drive the car in LA traffic. I intend to show the car at several area Concour's Show over the next year BEFORE I decide to start any serious local driving. The stories I hear and see every day about idiot drivers especially those w/o insurance really keep me from doing any daily driving. Also that R3 gets around 8MPG and at $4/Gal Plus Octane boost & lead additive, it's an expensive drive. Wish I had access to race gas again, but Kalifornia's laws have shut that door.

I fully expect the prices of Avanti's to continue climbing but we do need to get more great examples out to the shows. Once the Collector Societies SEE great cars out there, they will start to accumulate as they become available. I have a "Script" about the Loewy Design and Granatelli Engine Performance I've put together and shamelessly recite it to whoever comes up to the car. I've also lost my voice at LaJolla so I'm thinking about making a handout. These shows are 6hrs long and you get a lot of questions............

As someone here has pointed out prior.............this all about MARKETING.........we've already got a GREAT product, we just need to get it out in front of the viewing and puchasing public.

Edited by attrite1

Guest dapy

Marketing takes a paid organization, or a group of dedicated volunteers, or both. In any case money is usually the problem. Our organization is AOAI, but I don't see promotion as a current objective, or a committee to manage that.

Preparing our cars for show is beyond most of us as proud as we are. Restoration is a major issue. Could take a week or many years, and never cheap even DIY. Many show cars never become 'road' cars.

There are solutions to these problems which would enhance the value of Avantis. Won't happen at this forum. And probably not at AOAI. Who will do it?

While I'm not privy to the finances of the AOAI (maybe I should be more observant of the annual reports), but I doubt if it's a wealthy organization. As you said, money is always a problem.

Another thing to keep in mind when undertaking any kind of activities involving the AOAI is to not run afoul of IRS laws pertaining to such organizations and how business is conducted. That would be a very bad thing.

Marketing takes a paid organization, or a group of dedicated volunteers, or both. In any case money is usually the problem. Our organization is AOAI, but I don't see promotion as a current objective, or a committee to manage that.

Preparing our cars for show is beyond most of us as proud as we are. Restoration is a major issue. Could take a week or many years, and never cheap even DIY. Many show cars never become 'road' cars.

There are solutions to these problems which would enhance the value of Avantis. Won't happen at this forum. And probably not at AOAI. Who will do it?

I understand what you're saying, But I don't necessarily agree. I understand some Avantis are fifty years old, and some are in less than pristine condition. The fact is they don't have to be show cars, road cars are enough. Maybe there are mechanical problems or a blister here or there...so what! All you need is a driver, a coat of wax and gas. The car will do the rest.

WE, will! It has to be us! All we can expect of the AOAI is to give us a platform with which to talk about and coordinate our ideas and plans. After that, the ball is in our court. WE know and love this car. WE want others to appreciate it the way we do. Therefore it's up us to promote this beauty. It'll take time, but I do believe this car will have it's day!

In the June 2013 issue of "Automobile Magazine", on page 106, there was a '63 Studebaker Avanti R2 that sold for $74,800! I tried to link the article, but I don't think it's posted. Like I've said before, I think people are waking up to this gem! Check it out!