89 new wheel and tires

Michael

Current wheels are 15". Current tire is P21565R15. I want to replace the factory wire wheels (picture attached) with a non-wire wheel. Has anyone changed their wheel size to 16: or 17"? I would like to see some pictures and know what troubles you encountered trying to match up the larger diameter wheel with a lower profile sidewall tire. You can send pics tpost-9412-0-36915200-1367938339_thumb.gifo my email mgrutza@gmrsales.com I can accept up to 10meg of pictures in one email. Thanks.................Mike

Can't send any pictures but if you go to newstalgia.com and lookup the wheel visualizer http://www.newstalgiawheel.com/wheel_visualizer.asp you can go to model and under Studebaker you will find Avanti 63/64. Not yours but close enough to try all the wheel and tire size combinations they sell.

Size is, of course, not the issue but width and back spacing. My 83 has 8" wide rims with 4.5" rear and 3.5" front back spacing.

For my 74 I have a set of pre-2005 Mustang Bullit wheels with P225 45X17 tires and 8" rim width. About 4 3/4" BS that fits fine on the rear but will need slight spacing on the front. I'm going to use a 1" spacer there.

Have fun mucking around in the wheel visualizer.

Bob

Depends on the frame used on your '89 it may be an Impala. My '87 Coupe uses a Monte Carlo frame and that caused some problems with the rear wheel opening. After upgrading the suspension I wanted some better tires with less sidewall flex. I found that the widest tires that would fit in the rear because of the frame was a P225/60R16. The rim I used was a 16"x7" with a 4" backspacing. This will keep the tire inside the wheel well with gap of a 1/2" between the sidewall of the tire and the frame. Rims wider then 7" will contact the frame or will mount the tire outside the wheel well and may touch the body. That tire diameter is also the same as the OEM 15" tires and will not affect the VSS or speedometer. I dropped the nose 2 1/2" with drop spindles and have no problem with rubbing unless I go to the lock in a left turn, the tire will rub the inner fender well where it bulges from the parking brake cable.

Edited by IndyJimW

The 89 convert has the 89 Caprice frame if that helps. If you want to sell those wires after you make the switch please contact me rhcross@charter.net. I like mine, and would like to have some back ups. Especially if thay all have the center caps.

• 2 weeks later...