Window is hard to roll up or down

Mid Mod Guy

My '63 Avanti has manual, crank-up windows. The window on the passenger side is really stiff to raise or lower, so I keep it up mostly. There is a lot of resistance in the crank mechanism and I'm afraid something will break within the door. 

Can someone give an explanation (or photos) of how to remove the door panel so I can see what's going on inside? 

If anyone has photos of the window mechanism, and typical points of failure, that would be helpful too.

Thank you in advance for your help.

12 hours ago, Mid Mod Guy said:

My '63 Avanti has manual, crank-up windows. The window on the passenger side is really stiff to raise or lower, so I keep it up mostly. There is a lot of resistance in the crank mechanism and I'm afraid something will break within the door. 

Can someone give an explanation (or photos) of how to remove the door panel so I can see what's going on inside? 

If anyone has photos of the window mechanism, and typical points of failure, that would be helpful too.

Thank you in advance for your help.

If you're lucky, a thorough cleaning and lubrication of the window lift mechanism will make raising and lowering the window much easier. however, there are a few parts associated with the lift mechanism (regulator) that may have failed!

Look for damaged rollers and/or loose rivets on the regulator....also, the felt insulator which goes between the window glass front edge and the metal window runner can 'fray' over time and jam the glass on its way up and down.

A thorough inspection inside the door will reveal any issues like these.

Removing the door interior trim panel is quite easy ....just remove the screws around its perimeter, the window and door release handles, the two screws inside the door armrest 'pocket', and the chrome bezel at the door latch, and the trim panel will pull up and off.

PS...Consider yourself lucky that your '63 Avanti has manual windows!:)....Also, you should purchase a reprint of the Studebaker Avanti shop manual, and also buy the special tool used to remove the retaining clips which hold the handles in place (inexpensive)......Good luck....Ed

10 hours ago, mfg said:

PS...Consider yourself lucky that your '63 Avanti has manual windows!:)....Also, you should purchase a reprint of the Studebaker Avanti shop manual, and also buy the special tool used to remove the retaining clips which hold the handles in place (inexpensive)......Good luck....Ed

Thanks for the tips. Do you have a link to the tool for removing the retaining clips? Is it specific to Studebaker or Avanti, or it is a more generic tool?

15 minutes ago, Mid Mod Guy said:

Thanks for the tips. Do you have a link to the tool for removing the retaining clips? Is it specific to Studebaker or Avanti, or it is a more generic tool?

You're welcome!....The clip removal tool is generic, and will work on many period cars....It's basically a thin, flat piece of spring steel with a cutout at the clip end which, when inserted behind the handle, simply pushes the retaining clip off the window regulator spindle.....To re-install handle, just re-insert clip onto the back of handle and push handle back onto spindle till you hear a 'click'!

Clip tool will be available at any local automotive store.....Ed:)

• 4 months later...

I also had this issue. I took the door and window crank off handle off. With them off I then took the panel on the inside of the door off. With this panel off you are able to see a coil inside right behind where the window crank was at. I sprayed oil onto the coil and along with the rails that the window rolls on. I had put the window handle on without the spring on the back side of it and ran the window up and down several times. I had oiled the coils and rails again. I repeated this until I was satisfied. I also swept the inside of the door out because there was a lot of pine needles inside mine. My windows now roll up and down really easy now, almost like new. After oiling everything I took the window crank handle back off and put the panel back on and snapped the handles back on. 

• 1 month later...

One thing I might add is a potential problem with the aluminum "spacers" behind the door handle and window crank.  A couple times I have had a problem removing the spring clips that hold the window crank & door handle on.  Somehow the spring clips had become jammed and I could not get them off.  I had to cut the aluminum spacer off to get the spring clip out.  So, I now use the clear plastic spacers used on Larks & Hawks.  It is much easier to break off if necessary.  Plus, it doesn't leave aluminum oxide on the door panel as aluminum will do.

--Dwight