1964 Avanti Production Order

64tbird

I just received a copy of my '64 Studebaker Avanti production order from the Studebaker National Museum. I have three questions and I hope some of you can help:

1. The last entry on the list of optional equipment is "99 TAG SEARS AVANTI PROMOTION." What is this? I checked the list of optional equipment on Bob Johnstone's site and don't see a code 99.

2. The destination is "Los Angeles 58 Calif" -- is this the location of the dealership to which the car was delivered? Or some large delivery depot where the vehicles were trucked in and dropped off for eventual delivery to the dealerships? "Los Angeles 58" is now Los Angeles 90058, which is south Los Angeles / Vernon.

3. If it is the dealership, does anyone know the name of a Studebaker dealership in Vernon, CA in late 1963?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Edited by 64tbird

Studebaker and Sears did a promotional campaign with some cars that were equipped with Sears Allstate tires and batteries from the factory. I believe they were all the same color and were all in consecutive or nearly consecutive serial number sequence. It looks like you have one of those cars. It's a neat thing to know about your car but probably doesn't add any value beyond bragging rights. Nothing about the car was different from other assembly line Avantis beyond the original tires and batteries which it would no longer have after all these years.

The "Los Angeles 58" may be the distribution center rather than a dealership. I still have the production order for the '63 I used to own and its destination was listed as West Palm Beach, Florida and not a dealership. It seems that was a distribution facility as well.

I recently sold a 1964 R2 close to your serial. One of the few records I got when I bought it was the original window sheet which listed destination, accessories and value. Do you have that for your car?

Thanks for the replies!

TMA62: The ship via box says: "43 NJ WAB ATSF HOBART RBTSN" I assume "ATSF" means Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe railroad. HOBART RBTSN may be an abbreviation for "Hobart Robertson," both of which are street names in Los Angeles. Or, it may be the name of a trucking company. Any deciphering of this entry is appreciated.

DAPY: I don't have the window sheet. All I have is this production order that I just received from the Studebaker Museum. It lists the options on the car, and one of the options listed is "51A 670 WHT ALL STATE TIRES" -- so it appears to be one of those Sears promotional cars with Allstate whitewall tires.

Is there a way to find out the original selling dealer?

Edited by 64tbird

64tbird, those are railroad names. You are correct about the ATSF. The "NJ" stood for the "New Jersey, Illinois and Indiana Railroad". It was a short line that originated in South Bend just west of the Studebaker plant and ran south approximately 5 miles to a town called Pine, Indiana where it connected with the Wabash RR. That is what "WAB" stood for. In fact the NJI&I was a subsidiary to the Wabash. The Wabash headed west into Chicago and interchanged with the Santa Fe which took your Avanti to LA.

So your Avanti was shipped by rail from South Bend to Los Angeles in one of those bi- or tri-level 85-foot long flatcars. I have seen another Avanti shipped the same routing to the southwest. Cool, huh? I think it is since I'm a railroad historian and model railroader too.

If any others on this list have interesting SHIP VIA comments, please post them. If they are railroad oriented, I can help in telling you how your Avanti was shipped. I would also like to determine patterns in shipping from South Bend to parts around the country.

So your Avanti was shipped by rail from South Bend to Los Angeles in one of those bi- or tri-level 85-foot long flatcars. I have seen another Avanti shipped the same routing to the southwest. Cool, huh? I think it is since I'm a railroad historian and model railroader too.

That would make a neat piece or rolling stock, a car carrier filled with new (correctly painted) Avantis. I think someone makes "HO" or "O" gauge Avantis.

Edited by J Boyle

J Boyle - yes, that would make a nice display. Signature makes (or made) 1:18 and 1:32 scale Avantis; Minimarque made a 1:43; Automodello is coming out with a 1:43; Franklin Mint made a 1:24; and Johnny Lightning made a 1:64.

Who makes a scale auto transport truck? All but the Signature and Johnny Lightning models would be too expensive for me to fill up a miniature auto transport truck.