Avanti Convertibles

legelegel

55 minutes ago, Gunslinger said:

Other than a couple of prototypes, 1987-'89 and 2001-2007.

I believe that there were also three production convertibles for the 1985 model year.

7 hours ago, Gunslinger said:

Other than a couple of prototypes, 1987-'89 and 2001-2007.

https://www.theavanti.com/production1.html

According to the above website there were this many convertibles manufactured in each of these years:

1987:  54

1988:  73

1989: 101

Edited by legelegel

Differences between the 87's, 88's and 89's look to be minor on the outside, but the Monte Carlo chassis was used for the 87's and 88's, while the Caprice chassis was used for the 89's. Gas tank fill for the 87's and 88's was located on the top of the left rear fender for the tank mounted behind the rear seat. The 89's had the tank mounted under the trunk, eliminating the tire well for the spare in the trunk with the gas fill just to the rear and above the left rear tire. The space saving donut (a real oxymoron) takes up over half of the trunk space. I believe the ground effects were added to the 89's to cover the perimeter frame of the Caprice. I'm sure the foot wells were also shortened up for attachment to the frame as my 89 has a lot less leg and foot room than my 76 has.

There were around 7 1991 convertibles made (only 4 doors were made in 90), but they are larger than the 89's. I've heard the 91's were supposed to have been the best of the lot in terms of build quality.

Yes, we had been forgetting 1991 when only convertibles were built.  I believe that there were 17, not "7".  

EDIT:  I just went to the three links given.  They are all the same car.  That owner thinks that there was only six (he owns number six) 1991s.  He also says that it is the last fiberglass Avanti.  The 2001-2007 Avantis had fiberglass bodies, but his 1991 doesn't.

Edited by studegary

48 minutes ago, studegary said:

Yes, we had been forgetting 1991 when only convertibles were built.  I believe that there were 17, not "7".  

EDIT:  I just went to the three links given.  They are all the same car.  That owner thinks that there was only six (he owns number six) 1991s.  He also says that it is the last fiberglass Avanti.  The 2001-2007 Avantis had fiberglass bodies, but his 1991 doesn't.

The 1991 Avantis do not not have fiberglass bodies?

2 hours ago, Gunslinger said:

I believe those bodies were made from kevlar rather than fiberglass.

Yes, primarily Kevlar, not Fiberglas. 

I own that one listed above out of California. The fellow I bought it from was 84 and the second owner and he had it about 24 years. I bought it and use it as much as possible here in Arizona. I was under the impression that it was not fiberglass but kevlar impregnated fiberglass. It is heavy and drives very well. Only changed the tires and wheels and some minor repairs for the 2.5 years I've had it. Always get thumbs up from other drivers when we have it out.

DSC01476.JPG

Stacy - Your car is number 12 of the 17 built.  I do not know why the previous owner called it number six.

To me, the front is a big improvement over the 1987 that I purchased new.   

"Your car is number 12 of the 17 built."

I was told 17 total for 1991, but only 7 convertibles and the others were 4 doors. He said mine/his was the last one built as a conv off the line. I have not been able to confirm any of that information. Makes for a good story to say the last of these styles was this as the last conv. But until I can find the real info and know it is the truth, I don't repeat it. I do say it was in the last small run of converibles for 1991.

19 hours ago, Stacey said:

"Your car is number 12 of the 17 built."

I was told 17 total for 1991, but only 7 convertibles and the others were 4 doors. He said mine/his was the last one built as a conv off the line. I have not been able to confirm any of that information. Makes for a good story to say the last of these styles was this as the last conv. But until I can find the real info and know it is the truth, I don't repeat it. I do say it was in the last small run of converibles for 1991.

All 1990 models were four door sedans.  All 1991 models, all 17, were convertibles.

One reference is the "Avanti 30th Anniversary Celebration" written materials by John Hull.