did Avanti use Corvette parts?

kramerdad1

I'm gathering the parts needed to swap out my TH 400 to a 700 R4. Along the line I ordered a new steel fuel line from Corvette Central. When the part came they included a catalog so I scanned through it and noticed the shift lever and knob for the 68-82 automatic looked exactly the same as the one in my 1980. Corvette Central sells a 68-81 automatic w/overdrive shifter conversion kit for $109.00. Does anyone know if the shifter assembly for Avanti is actually a Corvette assembly? I am loath to spend $750.00 for shifter parts from Dan, I know they will fit and work but if there is a cheaper way to do this then I'd be a fool not to.

I used to have a '78 Corvette with an automatic and noticed the same thing...but they're not the same. The Avanti lever has a much thinner diameter and the knob is threaded for the thinner shifter. Whether a complete Corvette shifter assembly can be substituted for the Avanti shifter is an open question. Maybe someone has done it or tried. If you're not big on correctness and originality you can probably get by with modifying your console to use the Corvette parts. It could be the trouble of cutting and modifying the console outweighs the difference in cost.

I did have a 700R4 installed in my '70 in place of the Borg Warner Powershift. You do need the different shifter quadrant and indicator and levers. The original shifter itself can be reused but it won't line up exactly with the "PRND321" indicator exactly...to make them line up properly requires a new shifter lever.

I'm gathering the parts needed to swap out my TH 400 to a 700 R4. Along the line I ordered a new steel fuel line from Corvette Central. When the part came they included a catalog so I scanned through it and noticed the shift lever and knob for the 68-82 automatic looked exactly the same as the one in my 1980. Corvette Central sells a 68-81 automatic w/overdrive shifter conversion kit for $109.00. Does anyone know if the shifter assembly for Avanti is actually a Corvette assembly? I am loath to spend $750.00 for shifter parts from Dan, I know they will fit and work but if there is a cheaper way to do this then I'd be a fool not to.

I have a used shifter from a 4-speed auto Avanti that I purchased a few years back for a separate project. It needs a new plastic shift indicator plate as there is some crazing in the existing one and it will need the rod from the shifter to the trans. I have about $100 in it so that plus shipping is what I want for it.

If you are interested, I can take a few more pictures so you can see what I have.

100_0842_zps85ef0db8.jpg

Bob

Lower end, the parts are probably identical. The upper end with the shifter and indicator are most likely different. The trans guy that R & R'd my THM 400 and put in the 200R4 said a lot of stuff under the Avanti is Vette. The parking brake set up also is Corvette. I did get the rods, butterfly, shift indicator and trans mount donut from Nostalgia, pricey, but they worked and looks factory in my 76.

I know, dans stuff fits and works as it should , its a matter of scraping together the money, it really adds up and my wife keeps asking me if we're actually going to be driving the car enough to make up in mpg's what the cost is. I'm more interested in getting the rpms down but it still comes down to the bucks.

My RPM's dropped from 3000 @ 70 mph to 2000 RPM's @ 70 mph. My car has a 3:31 Dana 44 twin traction rear end. I have gotten 21.5 mpg going to Gettysburg in 2011 right after having the 200R4 put in. I averaged in the 12's before the trans switch from the THM 400. The switch will make you around $2500 lighter, depending on the amount of work you can do. I didn't do anything except order the parts for the shift linkage and set things up with the trans shop. Good luck with your decision, you're getting a good "CASO" start by checking around the forum for parts. You might get lucky and find someone with an Avanti that is wanting to go to a manual from a 700R4.

Another glitch in the switch to the 700R4 is that the old speedo connection won't work. I believe that there is a kit that solves the problem. My 1983 never got reconnected.