New EFI available that will fit R-engines...

Gunslinger

Edelbrock has a new EFI designed for any engine with a 4150-style square-bore intake manifold. It should fit any R-engine intake. It's another nice unit for cars where a mass produced EFI isn't available. It's not inexpensive, like any other EFI is (about $2100 from Summit Racing), but it does offer another option for anyone who is tired of dealing with a carburetor and isn't concerned about originality.

http://www.edelbrock....et_intro.shtml

I have Edelbrock EFI for the 350 SBC in my '70 Avanti and have no regrets going with it. This universal unit for non-common engines such as a Studebaker V8 should be nice for cars like Avantis that can suffer from fuel percolation in hot and humid weather.

I agree, I put a Powerjection III on my Avanti. This Edlebrock unit has a nice 'touch tablet' to program it. However, these units come programed and ready to run, I did not use the laptop on my EFI for 3 months and first 1500 miles.

Several of my buddies have installed these and Holley EFI on their cars and quite pleased as well. Most suggest that even though the manufacturers say you do not need a return line, they work better with a return line.

Joe

Massfloefi has a system ready to go for the Studebaker R series (http://www.massfloefi.com/mass-flo-efi-systems/studebaker.html). It uses mostly OEM Ford components, so it should be easily serviceable. They're billing is as something that doesn't need excessive work tuning with a laptop either, which is nice. It ain't cheap, but I've considered it. Owning an Avanti has reminded me of all the joys of carbureted engines that I remember from driving '70s vintage cars throughout high school and college: trouble starting in cold weather, flooding the carb if you're not careful, stalling out until the engine warms up, flat spots, etc. etc.. EFI has spoiled me. I love driving my Avanti, but I have to admit I really like turning the key and having an engine start effortlessly every time, and not stop running until you turn the key off. I'm not likely to do it anytime soon though. I have to get the car painted and redo the interior first.

I know the engine specific EFI units Edelbrock makes aren't compatible with forced induction as they're shipped, but changing the injectors and some parameter changes to the tuning and an ignition box with boost retard has allowed some to use blow-through. Whether the universal kit can be adapted is unknown right now. There's a little discussion about it on Edelbrock's forum but no one has said yes or no.

I don't know about the Edelbrock EFI, but the Massfloefi, according to their website, can be set up with a blower. I don't know whether or not the original bonnet will be compatible though. That actually wouldn't matter to me, as my current carburetor is not compatible with the original bonnet. I've got an Edelbrock carb I bought after my mechanic and I simply could not get the old Carter AFB I had tuned right (the one for the R2 engine); it was just a little too old and worn, and another original R2 AFB was simply too expensive. So I got an Edelbrock 500cfm carburetor, and with the addition of a marine grade seal in the throttle assembly, it won't leak fuel with the forced induction. Things have definitely improved with the Edelbrock, but it has a larger diameter that the original bonnet won't fit. I had to switch to a low-profile bonnet from Procharger. It fits perfectly but does not look original of course. On the other hand, original looks might not matter if you're switching to an EFI anyway.

Edited by Billy Shears

Just off the top, FAST, Holley and Projection III for starters.

If you are truly interested in using one on an R2 or other supercharged application, put together a list of questions on what you want to achieve and call each companies tech service.

You'll get too many opinions from we folks. Bruce likes Edelbrock, as he should, I'm a Holley fan because I use theirs and love there tech service. Others think FAST is "the nuts" and the Racing Stude guys favor the Projection stuff.

One other contact I'd suggest is Jeff Rice DEEPNHOCK. As you know he is building a Stude drag car and has probably asked more suppliers more questions than any of use. He chose Projection III for his use.

If yours was mine, I'd use the Holley Avenger with a crank trigger timing setup so I'd have spark controlled as well as AFR. you could then use a knock sensor for safety as well as AFR.

But the best bet is to do your research and talk to the guys that know in the industry.

0.02 worth, Bob