Any tricks to get to the left rear plugs on a 400 motor?

warren55

I'm about to do some updating on my 73 and ordered a "corrected" HEI cap (it has the HEI ignition already) and some Taylor cut to fit plug wires to clean up the current plug wire mess I have going. I went ahead and bought new plugs while II was at it. I was doing some other work with the left front tire off and looked around the motor in that area. Looks like a real pain to get to that last plug next to the steering box below the power brake booster!

Is it easier coming from the bottom of the car?

I found it helpful to drill a hole about 3/4" diameter through the inner fender, in-line with the #7 spark plug. This will allow you to insert your spark plug socket and extension through the wheel well and have a straight shot at the spark plug. The hole is pretty low on the inner fender and you'll hardly notice it from the engine compartment.

I have a plug socket with a hex outer shape at the ratchet end... haven't done plugs for a long time, but I know I used a box wrench with that socket to get #7 plug from beneath the car. A ratcheting box wrench would probably come in handy with that same socket.

I also was able to get several plugs through the wheel wells (using a ratchet with a long extension inserted between the upper A-arm and the fender, wheel removed).

Both of the above suggestions are good; however, do not waste time. Cut the 3/4 inch hole in the fiberglass and use an extension, it is straight shot. I did both #5 and #7.

Joe

If you are not familiar with small block Chevy engines, happy to help you, 400 SBC are great. I have several old Corvettes and Chevy's (some for 40 years). My buddies and I have about 100 of them between us that we race and even just cobble together to get to a car event.

Thanks for the tips! I'm looking into it while I'm fabricating a battery support right now. It looks like the hole would have to placed back far enough to miss the steering box, but low enough to miss the steering column, and it still won't be an easy job! You'd almost think they'd have put a hole there from the factory with a plug in it.

I've run into similar things on a lot of other cars, though!

Yes, even with two holes it is a bit of hassel to get #5 and #7. One little extra tip, put a floor jack under the frame and raise the body (safety stand!) makes more clearance between the fender and tire. That will help you reach in and see without removing the wheel.

Joe

Edited by Devildog

Mine is an 84 model. I have had no problems changing any of the plugs. With the original 305 or with the stage two Jasper 350.

I get to all of them through the wheel wells with the wheels removed.

It is a good time to lube and inspect the front end.

Charlie RQB3921

I have my left front wheel off for other reasons right now, and I have a hard time even seeing #7 plug, let alone get it out through the wheel well. I don't even want to pull the plug wire off of it!

Well, I got it done today. Almost as much trouble as I thought it would be, but I didn't have to drill any holes. I think i had out every ratchet and extension I own. What worked best on #5 once I broke it loose was a round palm wrench from Harbor Freight!

All I can say, is what a pain. I don't look forward to going back there anytime soon!

• 2 weeks later...