shock absorbers

steve

• 4 months later...

I have kicked this off with a large shock exchange table on

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/avanti/

Avanti Group

you do need to be careful. The table has everything anyone has said

over the past 4 years that I have found. Many discrepancies.

Does anyone know a NAPA or other parts exchange number for front shock absorbers for a 63 Avanti?

Does anyone know a NAPA or other parts exchange number for front shock absorbers for a 63 Avanti?

Hello, Steve,

According to my old files ("Due Cento" magazine, Avanti issue No. 11, 1986,) the front shocks are Gabriel #42053, NAPA Regal-Ride #2003, Monroe-Matic #2003, and Gabriel Striders #45262. They were all listed for '61-'64 full-sized Buicks and '63-'65 Riveras.

Good luck and best regards,

Paul

Hello, again, Steve,

I was just looking through the past posting of messages on our forum and came up with a recent one (Mar 30, 2005) by 11secAvanti under the subject of "New Shocks" which might interest you. I've pasted his posting below for your convenience.

Just put some new shocks on my 71 Avanti front. Made a big difference in ride and handling. Advance store computer had no problem on a list number for the front. Number is KYB 343127. Only surprise is the lower support arm in the shock is shorter than required and requires a large washer to provide holding support. Other than that, the fit and ride is very nice. No number from Advance Store for the rear shocks, which I need.[/I]

His info is, as noted, for a '71 Avanti. I don't know if suspension changes were made between the earlier '63's and the '71's.

I hope that this isn't too much information to confuse you. If so, I'm sorry.

Best regards,

Paul