Production dates of R3 engines

rgallatin

Can anyone tell me how all nine R3s can be 1964 models (beginning with serial number R5089, Aug 1963) since Granatelli is often attributed with racing the first R3 in April 1962? Has an early prototype been incorrectly labeled as an R3? Or were there R3s in 1962? There seems to be an error somewhere. My R3 page is Here:

http://www.theavanti.net/r3.html

Can anyone tell me how all nine R3s can be 1964 models (beginning with serial number R5089, Aug 1963) since Granatelli is often attributed with racing the first R3 in April 1962? Has an early prototype been incorrectly labeled as an R3? Or were there R3s in 1962? There seems to be an error somewhere. My R3 page is Here:

http://www.theavanti.net/r3.html

The R-3 in the Avanti was going to be offered early in production but never made it until the 1964 model year. While others, including Granatelli put an R-3 in the Avanti only nine were built by the factory.

Bob

Thank you for this clarification. I did not know the R3 was considered so early. A visitor to my Avanti site asked why there were no production statistics for 1963 R3 engines and I did not know the answer. Is it fair then to say that there were no 1963 production statistics for the R3s?

That would be correct. The early R3 used by the Granatelli's, in that prototype form, was actually 299 cubic inches, rather than the production 304.5 cubic inches.

After the Bonneville runs, the Avanti couldn't by certified in its intended class as it was not a production engine. It did qualify for records in other, experimental classes, which still gave Studebaker bragging rights.

FWIW, the '63 299" engine run at Bonneville, was a typical California hot rod engine built in the Paxton shops and shared next to no parts with the production R3s. Legend has it that it made more horsepower than any of the production 305.5" engines.

jack vines

I've always understood the 299 ci R3 was the hotter version than the "standard" R3. I have no idea if that prototypical R3 was the only 299 ci engine built or if there were others before it was finalized at 304.5 cubic inches. Even then there supposedly different R3 engines...some had special cylinder heads and allegedly some towards the end of production were assembled with standard R2 heads.

As always, there's lots of unknowns and mysteries surrounding the R3 and R4 engines...as well as the Avanti in general.

I've always understood the 299 ci R3 was the hotter version than the "standard" R3. I have no idea if that prototypical R3 was the only 299 ci engine built or if there were others before it was finalized at 304.5 cubic inches. Even then there supposedly different R3 engines...some had special cylinder heads and allegedly some towards the end of production were assembled with standard R2 heads.As always, there's lots of unknowns and mysteries surrounding the R3 and R4 engines...as well as the Avanti in general.
Once again, the one and only 299" was a shop built hot rod engine which might be considered a prototype or proof of concept. The pistons, rods, cam, valves, pretty much everything was just a typical California race shop build from aftermarket parts. It performed so well, it convinced Studebaker to make a production version optional.There are the very few documented R3s Studebaker delivered in cars, which were pretty much the same. Then there were the dozens of engines Paxton assembled from leftover R3 parts. They're valuable, but they can't be used to prove anything about what an R3 was or wasn't. Pretty much every one was different and depended on what the customer would pay for and what Paxton had left on the shelf that particular day or year. So yes, some R3/R4 stamped blocks were built into engines with R2 heads and stock rods, because Paxton had sold all the good parts.

jack vines

Edited by PackardV8