contimplating purchase of 1973 Avanti II

Charlie Baumann

Hello

My first Avanti II

I am contimplating the purchase of a 1973 Avanti II. It has a 400Cubic inch Chevy engine. I will be taking it to a local mechanic for a inspection.

My questions are:

*Are there any inherent problems I should be aware of?

*I went to our local library, and could not find any information other than "Standard Guide to Cars & Prices 2005". Where can I get publications regarding a 1973 Avanti II?

* What I gleaned off the Avanti web site, was that this car was built in Canada. Did this car originally have a 400 cubic inch Chevy engine, and did it also have a Chevy drive train?

* Are replacement parts (breaks, suspension, etc) for this car readily available?

Any information will be appeciated

Thank you

Charlie

The car was built in South Bend. Avanti's were never made in Canada.

Whatever issues are appropriate for any Avanti applies to this one as well. Check the hog troughs, check it for water leaks and whatever else applies to checking out a used car, particularly of this vintage.

Avanti II's all used a small block Chevy engine, including the 400 which this car has. I'm not sure what year Avanti Motors began using the 400, but it was about this time, so it may well be the original engine. I do understand the 400's with two barrel carburetors were less than stellar performers, but then again, this was the beginning of the smog emission era, and most cars were being choked by government regulations. One good thing...now the car is over 25 years old, most emissions laws no longer apply and you can modify the engine to run great. Install a four barrel intake and carburetor or convert it to fuel injection, remove the smog equipment and enjoy it! The car likely has a GM Hydramatic transmission as well.

Most parts are readily available, including some suppliers that offer upgrades, such as 4-wheel disc brake systems, etc.

Hope this helps.

Hello

My first Avanti II

I am contimplating the purchase of a 1973 Avanti II. It has a 400Cubic inch Chevy engine. I will be taking it to a local mechanic for a inspection.

My questions are:

*I went to our local library, and could not find any information other                      than "Standard Guide to Cars & Prices 2005". Where can I get publications regarding a 1973 Avanti II?

* What I gleaned off the Avanti web site, was that this car was built in Canada. Did this car originally have a 400 cubic inch Chevy engine, and did it also have a Chevy drive train?

* Are replacement parts (breaks, suspension, etc) for this car readily available?

Thank you

Charlie

Good luck with the purchase; I used to have 2 AII's and am beginning to look for another one from the Altman era myself.

There are parts around; many site links available...you will enjoy the car I'm sure.

• 6 months later...
Hello

My first Avanti II

My questions are:

*I went to our local library, and could not find any information other                      than "Standard Guide to Cars & Prices 2005". Where can I get publications regarding a 1973 Avanti II?

Thank you

Charlie

These may be obvious but you need to see these two sites:

www.TheAvanti.com

It will tell you nearly everything about the car and its history, production firms and numbers, etc. None were ever made in Canada.

www.Avantisource.com

Lots of information in Avanti IIs...the site owner has/is restoring some.

The AvantII was made on South Lafayette Boulevard in South Bend Indiana. Avantis of the Newman Altman era regradless of engine had some quirks...principally with weather stripping near the ourtside rearview mirrors. So make sure to water test the car before purchase. If your 73 has the Mercedes conical door locks change the cylinder...believe it or not some of the cynliders could be rotated and opened with a butter knife. The engine I can't comment on since I had cars built in 1970 and they were still using the Borg-Warner transmission and a vette engine.

But I did drive the late Ari Altman' Avanti when I was in South Bend and it was a great ride.

Other things to check on: Check to make sure none of the glass in the doghouse is cracked around or in the battery well..if it is a simple glass repair kit fixes it quickly. Also the 70s used acrylic laquer paint unless customer specified otherwise. Make sure you can re-or :)or der the color for touch-up.