Right front directional not working on my 76

Tony S

The topic tells it all. If I turn on the right directional the front and indicator do not light up. The right rear blinks. If I use the fourway flasher the right front along with both indicators and the rest all blink.. Since the thing in comon is the directional switch / fourway flasher switch I am thinking the directional switch section is the culprit. if it from a comon GM or Chrysler parts bin I am thinking the whole thing needs to be changed. Any thoughts? As a side note there are no other bulbs dimming or flashing out of sequence like you get with a bad ground. All the running lights also work fine under all conditions.

The front bulb should be a number 1157 which is a two filament bulb. It could be as simple as one filament is burned out. Don't condemn the switch before checking the most simple. Try replacing the bulb before anything else. It could also be a bad socket.

I checked the bulb and it works on the bench . The 4 way flasher uses the same filiment so I know its good . The 4 way also uses the same wire to the bulb from the switch. So if it works in 4 way mode the bulb, ground and wire from the switch are all good. I started searching around to see what the directional switch might be from and went back in the car. I moved the tilt wheel with the directional on and the right front started blinking. If I move the wheel up and down with it on it will work intermitently . There is no particular"dead spot". So there must be a break or loose connection. When I was looking at switches, some came with a little jumper harness for tilt wheel. I am wondering if thats where the problem is. The directional is currently working.

Tony,

My 75 does the same things but on the left front. It is intermittent also. I will work on mine and post any insights I my see.

It just recently started the inop left front. I was thinking switch (my old Corvettes have this problem), but I think you are on to something with the tilt wheel.

Thanks

Joe

My 1971 had exactly the same problem you gentlemen are having. In my case it was the steel wire running down inside the steering column that was bending under stress at the tilt mechanism. I was unable to find anyone in North America who would repair the column. I finally replaced the column with one from idit (sp). $430.00 plus the $75.00 stainless coupling that replaces the rag joint.

I went on Rock auto and looked up a switch for a 1976 chevy p/u and there was several choices. There was also a small ''jumper cable'' for tilt columns that showed as part of the switch when you had a tilt wheel. This part also crossed over to the IH scout mentioned in the archives. The switch averaged about $40.00. I just hate to buy a switch to find out the plug may just be loose, but I also would hate to open up the column and find the switch is shot and than have to wait for the part. So as long as its working I'll leave it alone.

I had a similar issue with my 76. Left front signal worked but did not come on as a parking light with headlights on or off. I had the problem twice over two years. I replaced the entire turn signal light assembly the first time as the dog eared tab on the bottom was broken off and it was hard to keep the unit fastened into the fender. The second time it went out, the grounds were redone and its been fine since.

• 2 months later...

I think I have solved my left front turn signal intermittent problem. I used my test lights and found no open circuits. I just used a little 'oooo' steel wool and cleaned the bulb and inside socket. It has worked properly for two weeks now.

Joe

Edited by Devildog