R1004 to be auctioned

J Boyle

I see that R-1004, a White R-2 with auto, will be auctioned Jan 18-19 in Scottsdale by Gooding.

It has an estimate of $50-60,000

For some reason, this site won't let me past their address or my post on the subject from the SDC forum here...

Edited by J Boyle

The most expensive Studebaker Avanti sold last year (2012) for ~$35K. Can't imagine one selling for the Gooding estimate unless it has historic collector value. Where is it listed?

On the Gooding website:

http://www.goodingco...udebaker-avanti

They make a big thing about Raymond Loewy's classic "Benchmark Mid Century concept"....and since that's popular now in homes, furniture, etc, hiopefully it will lead to an Avanti price surge.

Of course people have been predicting that for 40 years... :)

Also note it does not have a grille...and the radiator surround are is body color, not black. There was a question aboutthe latter awhile back either here or at the SDC forum.

Edited by J Boyle

I was a little doubtfull about the radiator surround being black when the author of the upcoming Authenticity Manual told me about it. However, since then I have seen an internal Studebaker Engineering Memo that details the procedure to be followed on the production line to paint the grill area black. The memo has a ciopyright, so we will have to wait until the owner of the document decides to make it public.

The memo has a ciopyright, so we will have to wait until the owner of the document decides to make it public.

Al, I don't know how a memo from a company no longer in business can be copyrighted. Surely the SNM has a copy.

He may want to hoard it to make folks buy the book, but copyright?

I'm not sure. That doesn't sound right. It's been awhile since my grad school classes on journalism law, but I don't think someone can copyright something he found in the public domain.

And as a career PR guy, I'm not sure it 's good move to "withhold" info from an interested audienece who you expect to buy the book, eventually.

Better to put it out there as a "tease" of what goodies are in the book...it gives the author a great subtle ad...and doesn't make him look greedy.

Just my opinion.

Edited by J Boyle

• 2 weeks later...

Well boys & girls........it may have happened, the Avanti has, perhaps, finally moved up the auction ladder....."old #1004" has been sold at the Goding auction, last weekend, for $74,800.This was a condition number one (over restored, trailer queen) but a beautiful Avanti to be sure. I for one hope this is just the beginning! It's been a long time coming!!