Window lift mechanism wanted

kramerdad1

I just found out the reason my passenger window does not operate is because someone removed the entire window lift mechanism. does anyone have a line were I can source a compolete lift mech or if I have to a complete door for a 1980? if so please call dean 505-414-0617

its a 63 door, wont fit an '80

I've previously owned a '63 Avanti and about 5 other Avanti II's of various years and never noticed a difference,

though I haven't examined them closely or tried to interchange them. I currently own a '71 and an '80.

My understanding was that Altman simply shimmed the front end to raise it, and filled in a few inches above the

front wheel openings, but not that the doors or any other panels were changed (except for trim holes).

Is it only the window mechanism that was changed? Where can I find out more?

Do you know what year the doors were changed?

It was about 1975-1976 that the door lock mechanisms changed and maybe a few internals as well. After that point the key receptacle moved from within the door handle to below the handle. I believe the cone locking mechanism changed as well.

While the doors themselves might physically fit all years on Avantis through 1985 the locking mechanisms would not.

Thanks for the reply.

In Kramerdad1's case, he was interested only in the power window mechanics, I wonder if those changed, too.

(I know the window motors for original Avanti's and my '71 are getting hard to find).

It would be nice to know the differences, but I'm not about to take two doors apart to find out! :>)

the previous writters have it correct. the door closing lock mech is at the top on the early cars and towards the bottom on later cars, so you can mount the door just not close it. not to mention the key hole being moved from being mounted inside the door handle to below the door handle. I also need a motor for my power moonroof. if anyone knows of a (saddly) avanti II being parted please let me know. thanks, dean 505-414-0617

I thought I was being clear, but apparently not... I assumed you were looking for the power window mechanism, and if you couldn't find those parts, you were willing to buy an entire door, from which you would remove the window lift mechanism for use in your own door. I guess I misunderstood.

The discussion of door locks is interesting and potentially useful info, but doesn't answer the question of whether the window mechanics are different.