Help need with a mistitled Avanti

kramerdad1

Hi, Im new to Avantis which is probably why I have this problem. I purchased what was supposed to be a 1969 Avanti. I have in hand a title from Illinoise showing a 1969 Avanti VIN RQB3108. I have just discovered ( through the great help of John Hull who supplied the Build Sheet) that this car is actually a 1980. I bought this car out of Oswego, Il, does any one have any knowledge of this car? Its British Racing Green, Camel interior , moon roof. Thanks for any help, dean 505-414-0617 email: kramerdad1@aol.com

The RQB3108 is correct for an 80 Avanti. If it matches the door post serial number, which I'll bet it does, just go to your state office with the title and have them change the date. I'll bet it's not a big deal, a mismatched serial number would be much worse.

Type Avanti Registry into Google and print out some of the numbers from the 80's RQB numbers to show it's an 80 and take that and the build sheet with you.

The build sheet is potentially your saving grace.

Good Luck, Bob

I appreciate in reply, but only the issuing state can change the Title. I guess I should have stated that Im in New Mexico. The seller has agreed to file for a corrected Title but I was hoping that someone may know the history of this car.

I would start with the last owner you got the car from, finding length of ownership and any previous owners he had contact with. If the original (first) owner's name doesn't come up, then try to contact the original owner through the information listed on the build sheet. I bought RBQ 2392 from an older gentleman in Naperville IL in January 2011. He was able to tell me he had bought the car from another person in Naperville in October 1985. I wasn't able to contact that owner, but was able to get in contact with the original purchaser of the car in Hatboro PA, learning he had the car for 3 years, when the paint started to fade(Yes, Avanti Motors had some paint issues also)., so he traded for a 79 at Avanti Motors in South Bend the fall of 1979. I then learned that Avanti Motors sold the car to the first person from Naperville IL, having it from 79 until 85 he sold to the gentleman I bought the car from. Its almost like a geneology search in your family going through and tracking the history of your car. Since you have a copy of the build sheet, you can find the motor number on the motor and determine if it is the original motor or not. Through contacting the owners, you might even find out when the title snafu occurred. Knowing IL and how the Secretary of State's office works, you'll probably get quicker results by tracking down previous owners than going directly through the SoS's offices. Do a search for the IL Secretary of State Office in Springfield IL to find where to contact about the title.

Im in New Mexico so its hard to track prior owners down in Illinoise, plus the MVD system in Illinoise will not give you a title history showing prior owners.

I have in fact contacted the Secretary of States Office and the plot thickens. They actually were able to go all the way back to 1970, they found the original, first time application for this car. according to the State of Illinois this car RBQ3108 was registered for the first time in 1970 as a 1969 Avanti. go figure. they are sending me a copy of the original title application. John Hull thinks this may be a '69 that was refurbished in 1980, but Im stumped. anyone have any information or ideas?

Could it be that it's a car from one year or the other that's been either rebodied or reframed? It could be showing the serial number of one but on the other's frame and the paperwork was never corrected. Just conjecture on my part.

The RQB series didn't begin until the 1970 model year so RQB3108 could not possibly be a 1969 model if the car has its original body and frame. I own RQB1574 and it was assembled in September of 1970. As many odd and out of the ordinary things Avanti Motors may have done, there's no way RQB3108 could be a 1969 car.

How is the car equipped? Different options and other equipment can help disqualify it from being a 1969. Whether it has cow catcher bumpers in the front (or their recognizable remains), rubber impact pads on the rear chrome bumpers, possibly a power sunroof, what seats, etc., all can help identify it...or at least disqualify it from one year or the other. What engine and underhood equipment such as what a/c compressor, smog equipment, 2- or 4-bolt master cylinder and whether it has a Borg-Warner PowerShift or Turbo Hydramtic transmission can help determine it's true identity.

I would think the problem originates most likely from document errors when titled or it's a car that's been rebodied or reframed.

I wish you luck with the Illinois SoS office...

I've been trying to get them to fix the title on my 84 RQB4006 for 2 months now.

They put Studebaker as the Make, and I'm trying to get it corected to Avanti Motors.

They had me send them the title, which I did over 6 weeks ago.

I called today to check on it, and was told that they remember working on it, but they lost it.

Both the state of Nevada and my insurance company insist that my 1971 (RQB 1600) is a Studebaker. I cannot get them to understand that it is simply an Avanti II. So you know what, I quite arguing with them and said, "Yep it's a Studebaker". I even took 2 Pennsylvania Titles, showing it to be a Avanti II.

If a car was taken back to the factory and refurbished, I don't think a vehicle would have been outfitted with a new VIN #. It sounds more like a situation of the original owner having a 69 and at a later time, bought and registered or transferred the plates to an 80 model. I would not rule out any clerical mistakes on the IL SOS' offices.

After a detailed examination RQB3108 is 100% 1980. the problem is going to be with illinois mvd. they insist they titled this cas for the first time in 1970 which is impossible but I am dealing with the govt. BTW, does anyone know a good source for parts? turns out the reason thr passenger window wont operate is because the entire window lift is missing. anyone got one for sale?,