Exhaust smell fixed. on to the next question.

kellyavanti

My trusty muffler guy found and fixed my 2 small exhaust leaks today, so the car doesn't get fumes inside any more. In the process, I saw that the pipe was pretty rotten. As soon as he gets some pipe in, we're going to redo the whole thing. So, I have some questions. What mufflers? The PO installed some turbo mufflers. The size is small, and the sound is...okay. Not too loud, but not much character either. I love the wet sound of glasspacks, but will they be too loud? Remember at 70 mph, I'm taching about 3400 rpms. If I want to use them, is there a length that will fit and still be sort of quiet. anybody have any favorite brands?

Thanks for input, Kelly

Several performance exhaust manufacturers have audio on their websites to compare sounds, though different cars will make for different tones. I've become partial to Magnaflow...I like the low burble they give that opens up with speed. Both my Avantis have Magnaflows. A big block Mopar I used to own had Flowmasters and they had a very loud and raspy sound that I thought would shatter windows if I drove through a neighborhood. Both Magnaflow and Flowmaster are excellent quality but it comes down to the sound you like...I'm not 25 anymore so the raspy sound doesn't suit me anymore.

There's also other makers of quality mufflers so check around. Also...get aluminized or stainless steel exhaust parts...they'll probably outlast the car. Aluminized is probably more cost-effective and is easier to work with but stainless does outlast it, but as I said, both are long lasting.

I'm a fan of the Magnaflow stainless glaspack ovals. They have a set of 11215's on my 83. Nice low (muscle car) rumble that's liveable. Mine is a 355 SBC so yours would sound different but, let me suggest, that you visit the muffler producers sites and listen to the video examples they post on the sound of their mufflers.

That may not give you the exact sound your's will make but you will hear the type sound they produce and get an idea of the differences and the level of sound you can expect.

Bob

I cared less about sound and more that everything fits and works. When I got my R2 both exhausts were pretty far gone. I heard about Parks Pipes (937 678 7565) and ordered both sides. The price was $355 including S&H. Ten days. I purchased glass pack mufflers from O'Reilly for $25 each. It all worked fine, but I have no recollection of the 'before' sound.