Considering this 68 Avanti II

warren55

After a lot of consideration and searching, I think I'm about ready to pull the trigger on this car. It's actually the first Avanti I looked at over a month ago, and it's a pretty solid car. It has the 327, automatic,and twin traction diff. with 3.73 gears, I believe. It has had a frame off restoration at some point, probably around 15 years ago, so some things are showing their age. The paint has a few flaws I would have to get fixed, and the interior (which I've found is as polarizing as the Avanti itself: White with black accents) is pretty nice, but has a couple burn marks from a previous smoker. The bumpers are getting a little thin on chrome, too.

Other than that, the car is well kept. Everything works, runs good, new tires, brakes and wheels.

The color is going to be a challenge to match, it's a non original metallic maroon. Well done, with no signs of any other color, but it's failing by the left rear pop out window and it looks like something hit the hood from the underside and cracked the paint.

Here's a link to some pictures I took last month: http://s3.photobucke...tesi/68 Avanti/

From what I've seen, it's the best value for my money!

Edited by warren55

It looks quite nice in the pix. The paint can be matched but I'd find a quality painter to do it. The newer paint color readers do a pretty good job on color and metal flake size. A good painter can match and blend quite well.

The 327 is a nice engine and appears to have an aftermarket intake, good. That probably means the original emissions pump and the rest of the early system are history. Also good.

Upholstery and color are an "Eye of the beholder" item. If you have had a chance to put some miles on it and like the way it drives then why not buy it.

I actually like the color and upholstery.

Good Luck

Avanti, Bob

Edited by Avanti83

That's a pretty fine looking car from the photos. I think the interior is quite striking...though keeping that white clean and bright might be a pain.

Before thinking about paint and chrome refinishing, I'd make sure the car is 100% mechanically first...brakes in good operating condition, no engine issues or frame and suspension problems. The cosmetics can come after that.

If you buy the car, get a copy of the build sheet from Nostalgic Motors...it will have all the information you need about how the car was built..paint color, the name of the buyer it was built for or if the car was for company inventory for sale...everything. If you look on the backside of the vanity mirror, or maybe under the vanity tray itself, there should be a sticker with the original paint color identified. Lift up the trunk carpeting and there should be overspray from the original paint as well and you can see how different it might be from the present color. It's not likely a repaint covered those areas.

With the 3.73 gears, you might consider converting to a 200- or 700-R4 automatic. If original, that car will have the Borg-Warner Power Shift...a good tranny but if it needs servicing, installing the overdrive automatic would be more cost-effective and deliver better fuel economy and keep the rpm's down in comparison.

Gotta say...as much as I like Magnum 500's on an Avanti, I can't say I like the knock-off style caps on them. It's kind of like overdoing a good thing, but that's just my opinion.

Actually, the owner gave me a copy of the build sheet. The original color was Rosewood Firemist, a Cadillac color.. It's more of a brown metallic, with a hint of red.

I agree with almost everything you said; I can see a 700R in my future, and the knock offs have to go! (It also has air shocks, but that's an easy fix...)

I think I can get the car for a little over $10K, by the way.

Edited by warren55

Thanks!

I added a couple photos to the album to show the worst parts; near the left rear pop out window and the right front fender with some stress cracks. There's also a section on the hood that looks like it got banged by the alternator at some point.

I know it's going to cost me a couple thousand to fix it right, or just learn to live with it and drive it. Not in my DNA, but I might take my time!

I haven't yet. The owner is out of town for the holiday. We just decided to get together when it was more convenient for both of us.

He isn't advertising the car, so I should have plenty of time. I want to have my painter look it over and perhaps get it on a lift before finalizing anything.

Did you decide to sell your car?

Warren,

From what the pix show, the car looks to be in good shape. Have you been able to get the car on a lift and get a good look of the underside and frame? I think the color of the interior may grow on you. The only thing I didn't like is the black piping on the seats, but that's seemed to be a signature item on a lot of Avanti's interiors of the period. The car does look very clean. The paint and stress cracks are probably minor items that might get repaired with the sum you had mentioned. If you have driven the car, you'll get an idea of the shape and condition of the motor, trans and the suspension of the car. The car would be a good buy at $10 K, but as I found, that's the starting point for what you would want to do with the car. I wish you good luck with your plans.

Warren,

From what the pix show, the car looks to be in good shape. Have you been able to get the car on a lift and get a good look of the underside and frame? I think the color of the interior may grow on you. The only thing I didn't like is the black piping on the seats, but that's seemed to be a signature item on a lot of Avanti's interiors of the period. The car does look very clean. The paint and stress cracks are probably minor items that might get repaired with the sum you had mentioned. If you have driven the car, you'll get an idea of the shape and condition of the motor, trans and the suspension of the car. The car would be a good buy at $10 K, but as I found, that's the starting point for what you would want to do with the car. I wish you good luck with your plans.

I haven't yet, except for my first inspection of the car. What I could see on my hands and knees was clean as I've ever seen. The seller (who is the local club secretary and editor) said that it had a frame off restoration at some point. I tend to believe that, considering the condition of the car.

Having been down this path before, I'm well aware that I could easily drop another $5000 into the car without trying too hard! Sometimes I have to temper what I want with what the car warrants in terms of value. I'm not very good at that, I must admit..

You have a lot of company there. I have easily doubled the purchase price of my car with basically a mechanical restoration of the car. I have no intentions of selling the car while I'm able to drive and have no health issues, so when that time comes to sell it, I'll factor all the enjoyment I've gotten from the car. If its a lot of years, then I'll figure the car doesn't owe me much back from that investment.

It appears this isn't going to work out, at least not in the near future. The owner has decided that he won't part with the car until he finds it's replacement (a 64 R-2). He's very active in the local club and doesn't want to be without a car for what could be an extended time looking for the right car.

I can't say as I blame him!

18 Avantis are listed in the Avanti Marketplace in the back pages of the new Issue #160 that came in the mail today.