Wiring Help

Paul K.

Finally getting the engine in after 3 years and the masking tape I used to mark some wires either fell off or is illegible. Attached are pics of the wires and if anyone can tell me where they go that would be great. I have an idea but I need to be sure.

In pic # 1, The heavier gauge white wire with the black tracer I remember as a ground but I'm not sure. If it is, where would be the correct securing point/bolt? Also there is an orange wire next to it.... temp switch?

Pic # 2 shows 2 black wires which go to the coil. Do they both go to the + side? There is a third one from the distributor to coil negative and that is hooked up.

Pic 3 shows a green wire with black tracer coming out of the firewall just off center toward the passenger side. I think this goes to the resistor on the coil.

Thanks in advance.

Paulpost-5667-0-26700400-1352687187_thumb.jpgpost-5667-0-71176900-1352687486_thumb.jpgpost-5667-0-26700400-1352687187_thumb.jpg

post-5667-0-51092000-1352687388_thumb.jpg

Edited by Paul K.

According to the schematic diagram...

white or white w/tracer...ground

orange...goes to temperature sending unit and gauge

black wires...one goes between the + side of the coil to the distributor and the other from the distributor points to the tach sender

The schematic I have shows the wire from the ignition switch to the coil resistor is black with a green tracer.

The schematic also shows a jumper wire from the negative side of the coil to the starter solenoid. I remember something a wire that was either added or deleted at some point of production and this may be it. It's not clear to me on that.

As far as the ground wire, you should determine which end of the wire it is...the end to be grounded or to an electrical device with the other end grounded. Follow it to see where it goes.

I'm saying the schematic I have is 100% accurate but it's what I have.

The heavy with wire goes under the inner nut of the drivers side ignition shield behind the valve cover. The orange wire goes to the temperature gauge sending unit. The light green with black tracer goes to the "start" terminal of the starter relay, and then directly to the + side of the coil. The black wire goes to the - side of the coil to the tachometer sending unit under the dash.

The heavy with wire goes under the inner nut of the drivers side ignition shield behind the valve cover. The orange wire goes to the temperature gauge sending unit. The light green with black tracer goes to the "start" terminal of the starter relay, and then directly to the + side of the coil. The black wire goes to the - side of the coil to the tachometer sending unit under the dash.

Thanks, I don't have my shop manual with me so this really helps.

I am not clear on the two black wires. One goes to coil positive ( battery) and the other to coil negative ( tach sender)? They are not marked so I was going to see which one is hot to determine where they go.

OR... does one of the black wires got to the ceramic coil resistor and the other to the coil positive. The two black wires are in their own harness. If both of them are hot then this may be how they go.

One black wire goes to the resistor, from the resistor, it goes to the + side of the coil. It is power when running (not starting like the green wire), and is direct from the ignition switch. The second black wire, should have a yellow tracer, and it goes to the - side of the coil, and is the signal for the tachometer. It goes to the round brass can under the dash.