Corvette frames under Avanti bodies!?

Kennie B.

I saw this on E-Bay this evening, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1974-Avanti-Project-Car-Corvette-Chassis-Chevrolet-LT1-Motor-/281009342401?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item416d7647c1, yikes!

I guess my question is, how would someone go about this? How much of the Corvette frame would need to be modified and how much of the Avanti's floor needs to be re-worked? I'm thinking that the original frame and hog troughs were rotted beyond salvage so what is there to lose?

Or is this a reasonable solution for the various geometry issues with the front suspension as well as getting independant rear suspension?

It's not hard to understand that the seller has lost interest, no doubt he has worked himself into a corner and can't see a way clear.

Either way, I am sure this one will win the contest for the most expensive "cheap" Avanti.

Ken Buchanan

Edited by Kennie B.

The Corvette chassis has a shorter wheelbase so the frame has to be lengthened (or the Avanti body shortened), and that's just the start...plus who knows what else might be necessary.

Basically...it takes the idea of doing it, lots of money and a place to work. That still doesn't answer the question of "Why?"

Like you said...not hard to see why the seller lost interest. If the car had a bad frame, he would have been far better off to part the car out. But lots of interesting ideas have gone on the rocks when reality sinks in.

"Like you said...not hard to see why the seller lost interest. If the car had a bad frame, he would have been far better off to part the car out. But lots of interesting ideas have gone on the rocks when reality sinks in. "

You got that right Gunny, on the otherhand there are people out there with the means and skill and most importantly, determination as this;

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?66299-A-Different-Stude-Restomod-AWD-Hemistude-55-President-2009-Charger-Melding

Too bad the Avanti project is in the wrong hands.

Ken

The car has had quite a history of modifications by looking at the 63 front end and the elimination of the side lights and door handles. There are also traces of different seats and other interior modifications. I still think that if I had one less Avanti I'd make the trip to Zion, IL and look it over. With no pictures of the underside it's impossible to determine the extent and quality of the installation.

It's at a point where there is little downside to making other modifications to bring it to "possibly" a great driver.

Bob

If done right, it could be an amazing vehicle. Done wrong it could be an amazing nightmare!

It would be hard to imagine what else would have to be re-engineered to make this thing road worthy.

I saw a special about how Jay Leno and his crew put a 66 Toronado body (another of my favorite cars...) on a vette frame. I think they probably did the job correctly!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

This idea reminds me of the C6 Corvettes that are rebodied to look like 67s. Of course the dimensions are different and they can be ID'd by the slanted windshields and huge wheels...still a neat idea.

With enough money, someone could possibly to the same thing with an Avanti looking body...but the lack of a back seat area in the Corvette would be a huge issue...but hopefully it would be more stock looking than the 2002-2007s.

Edited by J Boyle