Body work question (filling screw holes)

TMA62

How do you plug up screw holes on fiberglass bodies? I am removing an after market security system from my '63 Avanti. These holes are about 1/8 inch in diameter and are located within the door jams.

How would one going about plugging such small holes? Fiberglass? Bondo?

Thanks in advance!

Major question is do you plan on repainting the area that you patch.

If you do not plan on repainting, using a product like 3M Strip-Calk (also known as "Dum-Dum") will work. Dum-Dum is a black nonhardening waterproof puddy that has been used in cars for years to plug holes and seal windows. It is available from some larger autoparts stores and automobile paint stores (I recently purchased a box from O'Rileys Auto Parts). Nice thing about Dum-Dum is it is relatively permanent but can be easily removed if you decide to go for a more permanent solution somewhere down the road. It seems to have an almost indefinite shelf life and it will soften when you start neading it with your hands. Easy cleanup/removal with mineral spirits.

If you are going for a more permanent solution, fiberglass is an option since it will chemically bond to the car's body though is it is messy to work with on a vertical surface. Another option is a product like "Marine-Tex" which is sold at marine supply stores (e.g., West Marine) for filling holes in fiberglass boats among other uses. It is available in small quantities (2 oz) and comes in gray or white. The product has been around for years and it has a proven track record. Easy to work with and paintable.

I personally would not use Bondo for plugging small holes in a fiberglass body but others might see it differently.

You can also find small plastic caps that snap into the holes. They may even come in various colors. Many modern cars use such caps to cover access holes to screws. Something like that might work well. Go to a Pep Boys or similar auto store and they carry assortment packs of such items.