1557139 steering flange and insulator assembly?

kellyavanti

The steering gearbox from 63R 1880 is apart on my bench waiting for rebuild parts to arrive. I have been unable to locate a new 1557139 steering flange and insulator assembly. It is the rubber donut thing that joins the steering cloumn to the gearbox. Anybody have a possible source?

Thanks, Kelly

Kelly,

I bought a new rag joint several months ago from one of our vendors in Arizona. Price without shipping, if my memory is correct, was about $50.00. That included new fasteners and washers.

If All else fails, send me a e-mail, and I will try to find that new rag joint, as I never installed it. Just bought it for a spare. But I changed from a rag joint to stainless steel universal steering joint $78.00, at So-Cal Speed Shop.

George

I have a note in my Avanti Parts catalog that says NAPA 630-1008 works as a replacement. I intend to replace my rag joint at some point for safety reasons, but at this point I cannot tell you by experience if this is a good aftermarket replacement. If this part does not have the right specs, I may have other numbers for you to try in my barn. Let me know if you need more candidates. And let us all know if this NAPA number works

Best wishes,

Stan, thanks for the number. I checked NAPA online and the number wasn't found. Perhaps it has been superceded. I'll run down to the local store and see if they can find something.

Thanks, Kelly

My NAPA was out of the 1008 number, but they had a 630-1012. It is just the rubber donut and the bolts and stuff. You must grind off the heads of the old posts to separate the original flange from the rubber part. Then you just bolt the new posts on. This joins the lower flange (the one that slides onto the gearbox splines) and the rubber donut. Took less than a half hour. They give you lock washers for the posts, but I also used Loctite. Safety first. On my '63 it appears the upper flange (on the lower end of the steering column) is welded on, so I'll have to wait to assemble the other two bolts till I put the box back in.

The upper seal, the one where the splines stick out of the gearbox and join the lower end of the flange is the only piece I'm still trying to hunt up. Myer's told me they've been NLA for at least 25 years. The NAPA guy and I rummaged around in his book, and found one that might work. Naturally, it has to come from Kentucky. Next week we'll know...

• 2 weeks later...

if Dave Thiebeault does not have that in stock, try Dan Booth @ Nostalgic or Studebaker Inernational. I have bought sucessfuly from all of them for restorations