Buying my first Avanti...oh boy...

jvespey

I've been looking for the "right" Avanti (for me) for some time now and am doing a deal on buy an '85.

It appears to be fairly low mileage (>30,000 indicated, FWIW) and runs well.

Though I don't doubt that I will find several flaws with it the more time I spend on it, the biggest things about it that bother me the most are the fact that the doors will not stay open. Regardless of how much they are opened, they will swing back shut - reminds me of a screen door I had once. Closed with a fit of force I think common to mid-80s car, it closes solidly and has good alignment. Closed softly it appears to hang a bit low.

I've searched a bit here on hinges and the like, and not found much that appears to apply. I've been dealing with DeLorean cars intimately for the last 15-20 years (and continue to do so), so forgive my ignorance for a bit. I am really looking forward to having this car and being a part of the AOAI!

James

New AOAI member, soon to be Avanti owner!

Welcome to the AOAI and welcome to the wonderful and sometimes agonizing world of Avantis as well! We're happy to have you.

The '85 you're looking at is the last year they were built on the Studebaker frame...kinda the end of an era so to speak. Subsequent Avantis were built on GM chassis.

As far as the doors swinging shut, they may be missing the hinge spring. Those parts should be available but installing them may be a pain. I haven't done that so I can't say but it often takes a special tool to do that easily. Hopefully someone with more experience can tell you how to do it.

If the door sags a bit...welcome to the world of Avantis. That's not at all uncommon...particularly for the drivers door. That's one of the fixes that can sometimes be easy and sometimes drive you crazy. Taking the poor panels off and adjusting the door by loosening and retightening the bolts can often do it. Sometimes the hinges have to be modified by lengthening the bolt hole to make for more adjustment. That's a car by car and door by door thing.

Again, welcome. Don't be afraid to ask questions...this a pretty tight group with lots of experience and ideas for creative solutions to problems.

Welcome to the AOAI and welcome to the wonderful and sometimes agonizing world of Avantis as well! We're happy to have you.

As far as the doors swinging shut, they may be missing the hinge spring. Those parts should be available but installing them may be a pain. I haven't done that so I can't say but it often takes a special tool to do that easily. Hopefully someone with more experience can tell you how to do it.

Again, welcome. Don't be afraid to ask questions...this a pretty tight group with lots of experience and ideas for creative solutions to problems.

as stated above. there is a spring that pulls on a detent..only way to do the job is pull doors off. Three 3/8's bolts (9/16) socket with 6" extendsion) for upper and lower hindges. You can check and lube or change the bushings while your there also.this job can be done with one person.. but is best done with Two people...

Hope this helps. will check and post a picture. just have to chase down the manual .. darn thing keeps moving on me..lol

Thanks both of you for the advice. The car arrives Saturday, so I'll dive in earnestly this weekend. Thanks again!

James

In looking at the underside today, I noticed that this part seems to be very close to the crank pulley - is this normal? Seems "too close for comfort" to me...

f4020afe.jpg

Thanks, Dave - when's a good time to reach you?

James

• 7 months later...

I've decided to try and install the new hinge spring and bushings while the door is "empty" while I am re-furbing the window regulators, etc. THe workshop manual is unclear in regards to door removal, and your post is helpful, but begs another question.

The shop manual seems to say the hinges and door should be removed together, which would be the four bolts per upper and lower hinge, 9/16. Two each on the outer door post and two each on the inside of the door post.

Any more insght to share?

James

Went ahead and removed the four 9/16 bolts and removed the door. Was able to easily replace the missing spring and re-hang the door. Adding some dynamat today then waiting for my refurbed external mirror to come back to put the doors all back together.

James

• 4 weeks later...

You're a brave man. I've never had any luck with door adjustments, so taking them off makes me shiver! I have the same problem with my driver's door but will live with it until I can talk somebody into helping me that knows what they're doing. I tried adjusting the hinges and had it so bad it scraped paint off the bottom of the door!