New PS cylinder

PackardV8

A friend has a PS with a cylinder which he says only leaks on hard right turns. That to me suggests a rusty or worn section of the rod. He'd prefer to replace rather than rebuild.

Anyone have a best price source for a new or guaranteed rebuilt PS cylinder for him? Nostalgic prices give him sticker shock as it would me.

jack vines

Jack

http://www.avantipar...Steering/Detail at $175 is about as good as I know.

But first, I can't disagree with your diagnosis about wear but let's just noodle for a moment. On a right turn the ram is at full extension which I would think would be the spot least likely to wear or corrode as it is seldom exposed to the elements.

On my 74, which is/was a total rust bucket from Michigan, the chrome plated ram is uncorroded with no precipitable wear at 97,000 miles.

I don't have the ram diagram at hand but I have to think that there is a wiping seal at the end of the ram. Is it possible that the seal is cracked with age and at full extension the ram slightly distorts the seal causing the crack to open and leak like heck.

The only reason I'm going on this way is it appears no one had put the car in the air to see what is happening and a seal kit is $19.

As always, I recognize that you and a few others are much more knowledgeable about these cars than I am but just suggesting.

Bob