Request input on WHO/WHERE for 1964 dash gauges restoration and/or reproduction

Joe Zeiger

I have a 1964 Studebaker Avanti. I would like information on gauge restoration and/or reproduction for a full set of dash gauges:

GAUGE: Studebaker PN

Speedometer 1557107 (140 MPH)

Tack 1557116

Amp 1557113

Fuel 1557110

Water 1557112

Vacuum 1560758

Oil Press 1557111

Clock 1557298

My car is currently in restoration, dash is out, gages are out of dash, all wire harness to be R&R’ed.

Looking for person/place to have done, good work, timely manor.

Thanks for any help on this - JOE

I ALSO HAVE A '64 ...VIN #5255 I HAD MY CLOCK & TACHOMETER DONE BY "D&M" RESTORATIONS IN GREENVILLE ,SC

1-800-722-0854 THE WORK WAS FIRST CLASS The clock was $180 for a quartz conversion the tach was $340; the face was renewd and all electronics totally self contained within the tach itself. The original sending unit was removed from under the dash & sold on E-bay for $20. Mske sure you remind them of the fact that the Avanti is fiberglass and all gauges have a seperate ground wire to them.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the input I received. Problem Solved.

After getting several on-line quotes of $2,000 to $3,000 depending on condition, I had 2 friends tell me to go to REDLINE GAUGE WORKS on line. (www.redlinegaugeworks.com). I was impressed with the site as it showed recommendation from Jay Leno. From the Redline site there is a link to Leno's site has video of Leno showing his 1955 MB, telling what a good job REDLINE GAUGE WORKS did in restoring them.

I live in So California and they were only 50 miles, so I packed up all 8 gauges and took them there.

I was impressed with the way he reviewed them, asks questions, and gave suggestions. Bottom line I told him, I am the car fully restored for a daily driver and wanted gauges nicely restored. Chrome bezels showed a good amount of rust. He said he would be happy to take them on and showed me a good selection of past and some in work gauges.

I said "I think I want you do them" and his reply was, they will look and function like new, upgrade tack and clock in original case and you will be happy. BUT it won't be cheap. HOW MUCH? Was my reply.

His reply $980.

I gave him the job, a few days short of 3 weeks, I received a call that they were ready to pick up. Drove out the next day. He pulled them out and they looked as new. I embraced them and ask him How much? NOT $980, but $775.

It will be 4-6 months before car is back together and running but have full faith they will work as well as the look.