Original Headlights

abasile

Went through this on my restoration a few years back, there was a split decision, but I obtained some NOS General Electric Headlights. I believe the secondary choice was Sylvania. You might want to check the "search" function on the SDC Forum, I believe there was a discussion there. I also checked with a few original owners of Avanti's and also got a split decision on the GE/Sylvania choice.......it may have been whatever's available for the lowest cost at the time.

I dunno whether this will help you or not, but about 30 years ago, Newman & Altman (or maybe Avanti Parts Corp – can’t remember) still had some leftover sealed beam units with Studebaker part numbers them on the shelf. They were GE 7” lamps. That doesn’t mean that GEs were used originally, but it does mean that that was the brand that Stude was stocking as replacements in 1964.

• 2 weeks later...

I've done more research on this topic. GE, Sylvania and Tungston are the brands that appear to be original equipment on the majority of 1963 and 1964 Avantis. I've attended a lot of Studebaker shows this summer. The majority of Avanti owners who say their car is original had the GE bulbs in them. A former Studebaker dealer agrees; but added that Gunslinger's answer of "Low Bid" is also a distinct possibility.

There were probably only three domestic manufacturers of automotive sealed beams during that time period...GE, Sylvania and GM's Guide Lamp Division. Whether GM sold them to others I have no idea so it's likely other car makers used either GM or Sylvania...either by contract or interchangeably as supplies and need required. Any of them could well have made headlights for private label use as well.

The 1966 prototype Studebaker Sceptre used a headlight system developed by Sylvania so it's certainly possible that Sylvania had a contract to supply Studebaker as well. The Sceptre was developed by Brooks Stevens, so it may simply have been a one-off deal to supply the light.