R2 Throttle Linkage

Rick64R2

Does anyone have pictures of the throttle linkage on an R2 Avanti? Mine will not operate smoothly and looks like it has been "modified" by someone who had no idea what they were doing. The linkage seems to stick - it is impossible to keep a steady speed. Any help appreciated.

I also have a 1964 R2 and throttle seems to work satisfactorily. Unable to take a photo as the engine is out of the car for work. However my recollection is that there are two external springs that return the throttle linkage to closed position. One spring may be missing or have lost tension. The other problem may be uneven fuel flow and that could have many causes.

Edited by dapy

I have the parts manual and exploded view. All parts seem to be there - just not sure what finished product on the engine should look like. There is definitely something "mechanical" in the linkage that is sticking or not moving smoothly. I can not hold a steady speed - I get to a speed and hold the accelerator at that spot but the engine gradually slows. When you apply additional pressure to the accelerator pedal it does not move (there is resistance), then it feels like it breaks free and the throttle moves a lot and the engine lurches like you just stomped on it. Feels "mechanical" and not fuel delivery related.

The linkage looks like some kind of Rube Goldberg device with lots of room for play and slop. Does it need to be lubricated in certain spots? Again - any pictures would be appreciated.

I have the parts manual and exploded view. All parts seem to be there - just not sure what finished product on the engine should look like. There is definitely something "mechanical" in the linkage that is sticking or not moving smoothly. I can not hold a steady speed - I get to a speed and hold the accelerator at that spot but the engine gradually slows. When you apply additional pressure to the accelerator pedal it does not move (there is resistance), then it feels like it breaks free and the throttle moves a lot and the engine lurches like you just stomped on it. Feels "mechanical" and not fuel delivery related.

The linkage looks like some kind of Rube Goldberg device with lots of room for play and slop. Does it need to be lubricated in certain spots? Again - any pictures would be appreciated.

I found a photo of the linkage. Send me an email and I will send it to you. Dave Pyle dap8@comcast.net

The deal is you have to send me photos of your Avanti for my collection.

Lots of spots it can stick. Start at the accelerator pedal rod. If it's not installed properly it will rub against the floor pan and stick. It has a specific bend so it stays centered as it travels. The spring to the valve cover is important. if your car is an automatic there;s trans linkage that can stick also.

Ernie R