jack handle & spare well cover closed

BillyBob

Can the jack handle really be stowed in the spare well and the cover be closed completely? I'm using a fully-inflated 670-15 tire on Studebaker wheel; wheel is facing up in well.

The jack handle fits in a depression to the left of the spare tire opening. Lift up the carpeting left of the opening and you'll see a depression molded in the floor.

You got me...I was thinking about the lug wrench. My apologies.

The jack handle will fit in the spare tire well with a 6.70-15 tire on a stock 15"x5" rim. The owners manual shows it but isn't clear on whether the jack handle goes under the tire or on top. It appears to show both the scissors jack and the handle on top, but as I said, it's not really clear as it's a line drawing, not a photograph.

If you have a reproduction 6.70-15 tire, some have shown to be somewhat larger than the original tire supplied with the car. If that's the case, it could be the cause of the problem.

You got me...I was thinking about the lug wrench. My apologies.

The jack handle will fit in the spare tire well with a 6.70-15 tire on a stock 15"x5" rim. The owners manual shows it but isn't clear on whether the jack handle goes under the tire or on top. It appears to show both the scissors jack and the handle on top, but as I said, it's not really clear as it's a line drawing, not a photograph.

If you have a reproduction 6.70-15 tire, some have shown to be somewhat larger than the original tire supplied with the car. If that's the case, it could be the cause of the problem.

The repro's fit..............IF their not inflated :lol:

tire is Coker 6.70-15 on 15x5 Studebaker wheel -- now able to stuff it all in. no air in tire. didn't plan to use it as a spare anyway!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure we've all found out that a 205 radial will NOT fit in the well...with air in it anyway! I have a new 6.50 x 15 bias ply on the Stude wheel in the well now. As far as the jack handle (not lug wrench) stowage is concerned I have been unable to get it in the well no matter what so.......

I went to a junk yard and got a MUSTANG jack from a 1994-2004 car. This jack has a folding handle attached and lifts the beloved Avanti right up and the floor is flat and no loose handle to damage the trunk or take up space.

Edited by avantifred